Anticipated Duration of Position
The Humanitarian Response Department (HRD) provides leadership and support to CRS emergency programming. The HRD strengthens CRS’ impact through high quality, innovative programs; improved technical and management capacity at the field level; and active engagement in global efforts to promote excellence and learning in humanitarian response. The HRD has technical staff that supports emergency program planning, rapid response, and capacity strengthening of staff and partners worldwide.
NOTE: This is a global telecommuter position; CRS will give preference to candidates who are based in countries where we have existing offices. CRS does not sponsor visas for telecommuting employees.)
You will provide technical advice and support on risk management for country programs and partners operating in high-risk environments (HREs) in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices. This support will advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your advice, knowledge, and support will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ programming is across the globe.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Support the development and contribute to the implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools and best practices in risk management in HREs that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments. Help ensure a cross-sectoral approach integrating risk management activities across programmatic and operations functions.
- Provide technical support to CP teams, remotely and on-site, to conduct holistic risk assessments, coordinate support for the implementation of risk mitigation activities, track and report on risk management plans, and train staff in best practices and industry standards in risk management, helping to ensure high-quality implementation.
- Support capacity strengthening initiatives in risk management for staff and partners through helping develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and coaching.
- Support data collection and reporting on CRS risk assessment/mitigation activities in high-risk field environments for internal stakeholders such as the Enterprise Risk Management Council, the CRS Board, etc. Contribute to or lead the customization and design of forms for data collection and data visualization that facilitate use of risk assessment/mitigation activity data and quality reporting.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning through the collection and analysis of lessons learned from CRS risk assessment/mitigation activities in high-risk field contexts.
- Contribute to the development or review of project-level risk assessment and management plans for proposals in HREs. Advise project teams on integrating donor strategies, CP-level risk management approaches and technical requirements into project approaches.
- Contribute to maintaining relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions, participate in forums in the area of Risk Management to collect and share best practices and promote CRS’ work.
- Deploy to provide surge support for emergency responses, as needed/requested.
Required Languages – Proficiency (verbal and written) in English and at least one of the following languages: French, Spanish, Arabic.
Travel - Willing and able to travel up to 50% (i.e., six months out of the year). Capacity to live and work in difficult/stressful environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings
- Good strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Good technical writing skills
- Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships
- Internal – Leadership and staff in Country Programs operating in high-risk contexts; Humanitarian Response Department team; HRD Safe and Dignified Programming Team; Global Risk and Compliance team; Safeguarding team; PIQA team; GKIM team; Global Supply Chain Management team; Enterprise Risk Management Council.
- External – Implementing partners; Caritas Internationalis member organizations; peer organizations; Interaction working group on risk
- Master’s Degree in a field related to International Development or Disaster Management required.
- Minimum of three years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO.
- Experience should include high-risk field contexts such as emergency programming in disaster and conflict zones.
- Experience successfully starting up and managing large-scale asset transfer programs.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in risk management, accountability to affected populations, safe and dignified programming and safeguarding.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices.
- Familiarity with both operations (e.g., supply chain, HR, finance) and program management.
- Proficiency in the use of all asset transfer modalities (i.e., in-kind, voucher and cash).
- Experience with data visualization applications such as PowerBI.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org