Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited, and the forgotten?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you.
The Health and Nutrition Manager oversees all health and nutrition activities in WRSS’s areas of operation, reporting to the Deputy Country Director. This is in coordination with the Area Coordinators and program staff in those areas, as WRSS employs an area-based management strategy. Nutrition programming includes community-based management of acute malnutrition through stabilization centers, OTP, TSFP, and IYCF. Health programming includes services through Primary Health Care Centers and Primary Health Care Units, as well as mobile outreach and public health campaigns. The HNM must have clinical health education and experience in similar contexts. The HNM will represent WRSS at appropriate coordination forums, make significant contributions to proposal development, look for new grant opportunities, represent WRSS in Cluster coordination meetings and advise the Country office on an overall health and nutrition strategy. The post holder will provide technical and managerial leadership to the health and nutrition teams in all field offices and, ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to assessed needs Based in Juba, the HMN will make regular visits to field locations, including hardship locations and insecure environments. He/she will spend 75% of the time in the field.
Role & Responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage supervision of all nutrition and health programming in all locations in South Sudan.
- Supervise the safe and efficient management of nutrition and health supplies and equipment.
- Support the implementation of timely and accurate data collection systems, monitor data for accuracy, and respond appropriately with programmatic changes as needed to meet targets.
- Assess staff training needs and make appropriate referrals for training. Where required, organize, facilitate and/or provide training of nutrition and health personnel.
- Play an active role in investigating upcoming opportunities and the development of proposals, budgets, and project review processes.
- Coordinate nutrition and health activities with Ministries of Health, UN agencies, clusters, other implementing partners and funding agencies.
- Coordinate nutrition and health program development with local counterparts (SMOH, County Health Department and local leadership) with a focus on using a community development approach at all stages of program planning and implementation.
- Ensure compliance with WHO and SS MOH guidelines and policies in each program component.
- Maintain clear communication with all staff on at least a weekly basis.
- Promote the development of a sustainable health program by offering creative ideas and new approaches to solving problems in the health program.
- Coordinate with other World Relief programs in each field with full support for an integrated approach to community development.
- Reflect an example of true Christian character and mission in all interactions with WR staff and community members.
- Work to strengthen the local church’s capacity for supporting health initiatives.
- Any other duties assigned by the DCD or CD.
- Excellent oral and written fluency in English is required, and fluency in Arabic is a bonus. Must be able to write in professional English for document submission without requiring a proofreader.
- Good understanding of links between emergency and development programs, familiar with project cycle management.
- Strong planning and organizational skills; experience in good project planning and design.
- Ability to manage budgets, and understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills. Interpersonal and Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience.
- Computer and IT expertise highly preferred. Excellent skills in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently.
- Ability and willingness to travel to rural locations and live in sometimes basic conditions.
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief.
- Medical Degree or related qualification required. Master’s or other professional degree preferred.
- Three years’ related professional experience, managing or providing technical advice in both clinical and public health programs.
- Two years’ experience in hardship postings or complex emergencies, with proven leadership experience.
- Experience in donor reporting e.g. USAID, UN Agencies preferred.
- Able to work in a fluid and insecure area; Maturity and ability to adjust to harsh living conditions.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org