The RBM Partnership is seeking a dynamic and strategic leader for the position of Head of Strategy and External Engagement. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), this role is instrumental in shaping and executing the organization’s strategic initiatives, fostering external partnerships, and advocating for policies that advance the goal of ending malaria globally.
The incumbent will lead the Secretariat work in these areas, through facilitation and coordination of high-level strategic engagement. The incumbent is expected to be willing and able to travel.
This role will supervise the Communications and Advocacy Manager as well as the Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Manager.
High-level Strategic support to the CEO
Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following:
- Strategic planning to support the partnerships and managerial objectives of the CEO working closely with the cooperation with the Head of Programs Managers and relevant departments within the RBM Secretariat
- Providing the CEO with high quality, strategically focused advice
- Coordinates the activities of the Secretariat and Units as they relate to the CEO responsibilities and monitors implementation;
- Oversees the management and organization of the Communications Unit, including monitoring of implementation against planning and budget execution;
- Oversees the management and organization of the Partnerships and Resource Mobilization department including monitoring of implementation against planning and budget execution;
- Oversees the preparation of and reviews draft correspondence, official statements, briefing notes, talking points and reports for the CEOs signature or clearance; conducts relevant research and prepares background papers on matters of concern for the CEO;
- Undertakes missions at the CEOs request;
- In the absence of the CEO, receives visitors, performs representational functions, organizes, and attends meetings on the CEO’s behalf;
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Leadership team to provide the CEO with high quality and timely briefings and advice.
- Ensure and be accountable for timely and quality communication is maintained across the Partnership.
- Oversee and lead the processes and systems required to deliver advice and support.
- Lead and be accountable for the management and response to cross-organisational issues (e.g. media/high risk OIAs/sensitive investigations or complaints).
- Lead and be accountable for identifying, monitoring and managing organizational risks and opportunities
- Other functional duties aligned to this role as required by the CEO.
Strategic Assistance and Implementation support
- Support in developing funding proposals and explore funding opportunities with donors and various stakeholders.
- Support in increasing public and private domestic resource commitments and expanding innovative financing approaches.
- Coordinate between country, regional and global-level donors to enhance understanding and collaboration, jointly resolve key bottlenecks and work to fill funding gaps.
- Bring additional management and strategic capacity to the RBM Management Team
- Monitor the Partnership’s progress toward key targets and provide the CEO with updates on progress, including identified bottlenecks and constraints.
- Within the delegation of authority, oversee and manage the work of assigned personnel, distributing assignments to facilitate smooth and effective use of human and financial resources; training, motivating and coaching personnel, as well as evaluating performance and facilitating career development.
- Input into the development and implementation of RBM’s external engagement strategy alongside members of the Secretariat, Head of Programmes, Communications and Advocacy and Partnerships Manager.
- Work closely with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to set direction for an active public affairs programme of international engagement, including events, briefings, external stakeholder, partner, community and employee engagement.
- Manage communications engagement with key stakeholders including with key global policy-makers, working closely with the Head of Programmes, Communications and Advocacy Manager and Partnerships Manager
- Lead a team of communications specialists on the internal and external communications strategy including organisational briefings, campaign building, PR, media, brand identity, digital engagement, crisis management and reputational risk
- Develop strategy for external political and policy audiences and senior internal stakeholders to support the delivery of campaigns and advocacy priorities
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) preferably in international relations, political science, management, or other relevant field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in strategy development, implementation and/or management of development projects. Within this prerequisite, at least 5 years at the senior management and/or leadership level is essential.
4 years of experience in the public health sector.
Documented high-level advocacy with national and health-sector leaders is required.
Proven experience in strategic planning, external relations, and advocacy, preferably in the context of global health.
Strong understanding of malaria-related issues and the global health landscape.
Excellent communication and negotiation skills, with the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders.
Demonstrated leadership experience in a multicultural and collaborative environment.
Experience working in challenging and politically complex situations.
Experience in multi-stakeholder partnerships management and engagement.
Experience in managing and motivating senior staff located in different geographical locations.
Specialization, experience or demonstrated understanding of international development related to malaria is preferred.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish or another UN language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org