ReThink Media is a unique, non-profit organization focused on building the communications capacity of nonprofit think tanks, experts, and advocacy groups working toward a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy, the protection of human and civil rights, and strengthening our democracy.
Our Peace and Security team works with the nation's leading organizations and experts on many of the most complex and challenging issues of national security in a globalized world. Presently, this includes a focus on U.S. policy toward Iran, efforts to secure nuclear material around the globe and reduce the still enormous global nuclear arsenal, trimming excessive Pentagon spending, and most recently increasing the transparency and accountability surrounding the proliferation and use of drone technology. Our work is grounded in the belief that the U.S. can, and should, play a leading role in addressing these challenges and that both America and the world are made more secure by engaged diplomacy, international cooperation to address global threats, and efforts to reduce worldwide military spending, and demilitarize our foreign policy.
ReThink Media is seeking qualified and passionate applicants for our Media Associate position in support of all of the issue areas listed above but with a significant focus on advancing our new and emerging work, building the communications and collaborative capacity of organizations and experts working on preventing the proliferation of armed drone technology and the use of that technology to conduct targeted killings. The position is for one year with the possibility of extending the position if renewed funding permits.
The Media Associate will report directly to the Managing Director of the Peace and Security Collaborative and is responsible for coordinating, training, and assisting Rethink Media's member groups in monitoring both traditional and online news coverage, and in responding rapidly and effectively to breaking news. This includes tracking all of the key reporters, Hill communications staff, and opposition spokespeople, building and maintaining shared press lists, assisting groups in building individual press lists, and where appropriate assisting with the editing, pitching, and placement of content and spokespeople.
ReThink Media also monitors and conducts extensive research and analysis of both traditional and social media, as well as all available public opinion polls on the issues our organizations work on. The Media Associate will also work with the Managing Director and other core staff with these ongoing research tasks as they relate to drone issues.
The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of experience working in the fields of media, communications, press or public relations, and/or media and opinion research and analysis, and have an established commitment to the aforementioned issue areas. Experience working as a Hill or NGO communications staffer, in campaign or advocacy communications, or in pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople in the media is a plus.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
• Monitor daily news, opinion, and social media coverage and review daily news digests from the sector in order to identify key opportunities for rapid response. Draft daily clips related to Peace and Security top news stories.
• Assist in the development of timely and effective talking points, messaging tips and where appropriate draft statements, op-eds and letters to the editor, to be distributed in response to breaking news developments and ahead of known media opportunities.
• Develop an expertise of all of the key reporters and outlets covering the issues. Assist in training groups on developing and maintaining tailored press lists. Assist in updating ReThink Media's press lists and its unique online Journalist Profiles site, including updating reporter pitch notes according to coverage and identifying additional outlets/ reporters to target.
• Develop an expertise of all of the drone issues our groups work on, their unique media profiles, their key spokespeople, areas of expertise, and access to validators in order to be able to quickly identify who the best organizations or experts are to connect to a reporters or to write an op-ed, LTE etc., on a breaking story.
• Maintain all aspects of the drone listserv and related newsletters, including maintaining the list of subscribers, developing a mechanism for recruiting new subscribers, providing analytics on the open rates and developing strategies for increasing those rates. Facilitating periodic evaluations/surveys of subscribers as to the ongoing value and potential improvements that might be implemented.
• Assist senior staff in ensuring a consistent online voice for ReThink's work with the collaborative and provide the best social media analysis to inform the online strategies of ongoing advocacy and collaborative communications campaigns.
• Assist in identifying opportunities for collaborative multi-organization media initiatives and support ongoing campaigns and issue/policy initiatives. These often include developing and implementing strategies for op-ed, LTE and editorial initiatives, assisting with pitching and placement of spokespeople and content, developing online strategies, implementing strategies for outreach to Hill communications staff and tracking our efforts.
• Assist senior staff with supporting the individual media work and communications capacity of each of our member groups. This often includes assisting groups in developing a strategic communications plan, in implementing media strategies, in building press lists, assisting in the editing and development of media content, assisting with pitching and placement, providing media training, conducting audits of coverage and expert profiles, identifying and creating content for relevant rapid response opportunities, etc.
• Assist with longer-term research projects such as media and public opinion audits and coverage analysis of specific issues, frames, editorial coverage and outlets. • Assisting in training targeted experts and groups in building rapid response media capacity including improving their outreach to editorial page editors and tips in developing editorial packets, and in writing and placing op-eds and letters-to-the-editor.
• Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Advertising, or other applicable field, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
• Minimum of 1-3 years experience working in a communications or PR capacity. Experience working as a Hill or NGO communications staffer, in campaign or advocacy communications, in media and opinion research and analysis, or in pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople strongly desired.
• Demonstrated experience or commitment to one or more of Rethink Media's issue areas or organizations in particular in the areas of money in politics and fair courts. • Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing traditional and social media strategies and/or pitching stories.
• Strong writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills.
• A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
• Experience with digital content and design for social media, including an ability to capitalize on trends; produce compelling graphics and analyze metrics and performance.
• Demonstrated experience in public interest communications, public relations or advertising, with preference for experience in advocacy/political public relations.
• Excellent news sense and political savvy.
• Knowledge of print, broadcast, and electronic news media.
• A proven track record managing a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communications and/or client relations. • Strong training, mentoring, and/or supervisory skills.
• Proven track record as a strong team player, in team building, and in project management skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the media.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
• Strong research and administrative skills.
• Experience with Cision, Mailchimp, CRMs, Sysomos, Webex, and Drupal a plus.
This is a full-time position based in our DC office with occasional travel to our California office, New York, and other states, for conferences, funder meetings, training workshops, and periodic staff meetings. This is a mid-level position based on 1-3 years experience, which comes with a generous benefits, vacation, sabbatical, and retirement packet.
To apply, please carefully follow these instructions. Send your cover letter in the body of the email, do not send it as an attachment. State the reason for your interest in the position, provide a brief summary of your professional experience, your stated salary requirements and address your background in relation to working on these issues. If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media please indicate this in your email. Attach your resume to the email and make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (eg: resume.Stepter.doc). Email your application to [email protected], Subject: Media Associate, Peace and Security. All applications will be acknowledged and qualified applicants will be asked to answer a brief questionnaire and writing exercise prior to the scheduling of a final round of interviews.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*