The Global Alliance for Surgical, Obstetric, Trauma, and Anaesthesia Care (The G4 Alliance) is a member-based organization dedicated to building political priority for surgical and anaesthesia care as part of the global development agenda. The G4 Alliance is committed to advocating for the billions of neglected surgical patients around the world. We are driven by a mission of providing a collective voice for increasing access to safe, essential and timely surgical, obstetric, trauma and anaesthesia care as part of universal health coverage.
The G4 Alliance believes that significant improvements in surgical and anaesthesia care, which save lives and prevent life-long disability or life-threatening complications, can be sustainably and affordably integrated within existing health systems. We believe that these services should be available to every individual, regardless of geographic location, personal characteristics or ability to pay. To support these goals, the G4 Alliance seeks to affect change through advocacy, policy implementation and resource mobilization.
Position Title: Global Advocacy Officer
The successful candidate will have a passion for and experience in global health and have experience in the fields of policy engagement, communications and advocacy.
Purpose and Scope of Work
The Global Advocacy Officer will work in collaboration with communications and technical leads of the G4 Alliance to support management, implementation and scale up of various advocacy and policy initiatives.
Specific project activities will include providing support for project implementation of Safe Surgery 2020 campaigns, focused on regional and global advocacy. As part of this project, the Officer will be responsible for working with cross-project partners, coordinating meetings and communication with relevant stakeholders, recording lessons learned using various journalistic formats (ex. case studies, fact sheets, photography, narrative stories, videos, print media, infographics), supporting dissemination activities and contribute to project support overall.
Additionally, the Global Advocacy Officer will work with the G4 Alliance team to support development of relevant advocacy campaigns to support prioritization of surgical, obstetric, trauma, and anaesthesia care as part of the public health and global development agenda. He/she will work with the core team and the G4 Alliance's members to ensure that the organization's advocacy objectives are harmonized with the organization's mission and scope of work, with the objective of influencing and impacting prioritization of safe surgical care.
The Global Advocacy Officer will report to the executive and will work closely with the G4 secretariat and members to develop and implement the organization's policy agenda globally and within regional contexts.
• Develop an annual advocacy engagement strategy and calendar of campaigns to cultivate and enhance relationships with targeted audiences, including key influencers and to align with the organization's strategic plan;
• Participate in coordination meetings and planning activities to support the Safe Surgery 2020 initiative and other G4 Alliance advocacy efforts;
• Support coordination and relationship-building with civil society and government partners;
• Managing briefing of G4 Alliance member and partners on policy issues and campaigns via multiple channels of communication (online/email, written communications, videos, social media, etc.)
• Supporting development of policy proposals and launching advocacy campaigns on behalf of G4 and in coordination with G4 members and allies;
• Coordinating G4 engagement/representation as part of campaigns launched by allies and partners;
• Supporting G4 Alliance representation and messaging at regional and global advocacy events and interventions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of effective advocacy strategies and best practices
• Ability to synthesize ideas and communicate effectively with diverse audiences
• Excellent writing, storytelling and editing skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, (experience with design and editing programs a plus)
• Exposure to and/or interest in international development and global health field, and ability to work with wide range of individuals and cultures
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communications skills, as well as strong information gathering and analytical skills
• Excellent organizational, prioritization, time management, and problem solving skills with ability to work successfully under pressure
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
Education and Experience:
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location and Travel:
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Please send your resume and cover letter by email using the email heading "Global Advocacy Officer".
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*