Org. Setting and Reporting:
This position is located at the newly established UNODC Programme Office in Algiers (POALG), Algeria which falls under the oversight and management of the Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (ROMENA) of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) based in Cairo, Egypt. Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa, the incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, Programme Coordination and Analysis Unit (PCAU) and the technical supervision of the Programme Coordinator, Trafficking in Persons and Migrant Smuggling, both based at ROMENA and in collaboration with other technical experts at ROMENA.
Within assigned authority, the incumbent will provide coordinative, substantive and technical support to the implementation of various programmes and projects in Algeria.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific duties:
- Participate in the development and implementation of the UNODC Regional Programme for the Arab States (2016-2021) to Prevent and Combat Crime, Terrorism and Health Threats and Strengthen Criminal Justice Systems in line with International Human Rights Standards and related UNODC activities in Algeria. Monitor and analyse programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
- Participate in the development and implementation of UNODC activities in Algeria under the regional project “Strengthening the framework of the Arab Region to prevent and combat human trafficking and migrant smuggling”.
- Maintain and develop relations with national authorities, international organizations and other relevant stakeholders in Algeria.
- Coordinate the daily activities of UNODC in Algeria, including through providing proper guidance to national project staff and in close coordination with other national and international stakeholders.
- Ensure sound planning, management and coordination associated with the implementation of the activities of the UNODC Regional Programme and related project documents in Algeria including by means of preparing detailed and costed work plans for the timely and realistic achievement of project objectives.
- Research, analyse and present information gathered from diverse sources on the situation of human trafficking, smuggling of migrants and other forms of organized crimes, corruption and terrorism.
- Prepare various written outputs, including project reports, reports to donors, background papers, presentations and inputs to major documents, studies as required.
- Provide substantive support to consultative, expert group and other meetings, conferences, capacity-building measures and training workshops to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertake outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participate in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other work related duties as required.
- Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme/project management, administration, implementation and technical cooperation. Has knowledge of policies and practices in international crime prevention and criminal justice including human rights. Is able to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Is able to conduct data collection using various methods. Has conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Is able to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, law, international law, political sciences, social sciences or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in project or programme management and implementation including international relations is required. Demonstrated experience in rule of law, criminal justice and/or human rights is required. Working experience in the area of anti-human trafficking or smuggling of migrants is desirable. Professional working experience with the UN system or similar international organization is desirable. Relevant experience in a field environment, preferably in the Middle East and North Africa, is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English, French and Arabic is required (both oral and written). Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org