KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Senior Programme Policy Officer/Head of Programme Operations reports to the Deputy Country Director (Operations) and is responsible for the following key duties:
- Develop effective country and regional programmes, bringing policies and strategies into the South Sudan country context;
- Coordinate and provide technical leadership for assessments, analysis and to design, formulate, implement and monitor WFP’s food assistance programmes under Country Strategic Plans;
- Provide solid technical and managerial leadership on a broad range of strategically important and complex programme and policy issues including on the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
- Ensure that programmes are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions and other Operational Guidance;
- Assist senior stakeholders of governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully employed and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes;
- Guide and support a strengthened government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition programmes at global, national and sub-national levels;
- Forge and nurture strategic and operational partnerships to improve assistance packages and enhance WFP’s strategic position and to support advocacy work;
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in different forums on subjects related to food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience, engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts and other related issues;
- Follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability; Advise on appropriate resource/pipeline tracking tools for this purpose;
- Oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and operational reports and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use;
- Promote inter-agency collaboration and encourage information exchange to support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives;
- Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs;
- Lead, motivate and develop a large and complex team of professionals to enable high performance while providing technical guidance in their work;
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Perform other related duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least 11 years (4 of which international) of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience, both in the field and Headquarters, in public sector management, development projects, emergency assistance, and/or operational aspects of national, bilateral or multilateral food aid or commercial transactions;
- Strong experience formulating, designing and developing Country Strategic Plans and programme strategies and activities in a humanitarian and transition contexts, drawing upon a full range of food assistance tools and translating them into implementation modalities and operations;
- Leadership experience in building and managing teams and projects.
- University degree, preferably at the advanced level, in Economics, International Affairs, Nutrition/Heath, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences or a field relevant to international development assistance.
- Fluency (level C) in English language;
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Familiarity with planning and implementing resilience programming and capacity building at national and sub-national levels;
- Familiarity with interagency cluster system;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other standard office software packages and systems;
- Knowledge of WFP nutrition policies and their application at field level is an asset;
- General knowledge of UN system policies rules, regulations and procedures governing administration is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team and creating an enabling work environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour;
- Strong strategic partnering, positioning and negotiation skills to develop cooperation and collaboration frameworks and programmes with non-traditional donors and financial institutions and to work effectively with the host government, other UN agencies and NGOs in a post conflict and transitional context;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org