Founded in 1924 by John D. Rockefeller Jr. and the Cleveland H. Dodge family through the initiative of Harry and Florence Edmonds, International House is a residence for postgraduate scholars and trainees in New York City with a mission to prepare leaders for the global community. International House is home typically to more than 700 carefully selected graduate students and young professionals annually – representing 100 countries and more than 70 top schools and businesses. We provide an unrivaled opportunity for our Residents to thrive through daily interactions in a culturally, politically, and economically diverse environment and programs designed to expand the world views of these emerging leaders. We believe that leadership guided by the core values of the International House experience – Respect, Empathy, and Moral Courage – can create a more just and peaceful world. Learn more at www.ihouse-nyc.org.
The Vice President for Finance (VPF) is a senior-level position. The VPF is responsible for directing the day-to-day fiscal functions of I-House, including oversight of all financial transactions, accounting and investment activities, capital and operating budgeting, audit and tax activities, and financial reporting.
The position works closely with and serves as an advisor to I-House senior leadership and the Finance, Investment, and Audit committees of the Board. The VPF directly partners with the President / CEO and the Senior Vice President of Operations to help guide the overall financial, risk, regulatory, compliance, and administrative issues of the organization.
The VPF serves as a liaison for I-House’s banking relationships, investment advisors, auditors, and other agencies and control bodies regarding fiscal matters.
· Advise the CEO, Sr. VP of Ops. and other key members of senior leadership on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
· Support the CEO in his role as the management liaison to the Finance, Investment, and Audit committees of the Board; effectively communicate and present financial information at Board committee meetings.
· Provide analytical support to the rest of the management team. Evaluate and refine current internal management reporting capabilities. Evaluate and strengthen, where necessary, I-House’s system of policies, internal controls, standards and procedures. Establish practices and implement systems to support high performance and accountability. Optimize use of IT technology and systems to create efficiencies, timeliness of reports and accuracy in reporting.
· Continue the development of financial metrics (dashboards) to enable the senior leadership’s understanding of I-House’s financial position, performance, risks, and opportunities.
· Develop regular projections of revenue and expenses to support operational and strategic decision-making.
· As the chief liaison with external auditors, lead the annual audit process.
· Administer all accounting and treasury activities including monthly closings, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cash management, revenue and expense reporting, tax filings, audits, etc.
· Oversee the preparation of I-House’s annual and multi-year operating and capital budgets and ensure that organization produces a balanced budget.
· Directly manage all accounting activities including monthly, quarterly, and year-end reconciliations related to I-House’s endowment and other long-term investments to ensure asset values are appropriately reported.
· Ensure compliance with all Federal, State, and City Regulations applicable to the financial activities of I-House.
· Oversee and manage the Finance department and ensure that each team member has an appropriate understanding of I-House’s mission and where he or she fits within that mission. Work with Finance team members to develop clearly defined roles, processes, and measures of success that facilitate open communication and positive working relationships within the department and with the broader organization.
· Supervise, coach and develop the Finance team members to meet their annual performance goals and cultivate a departmental culture of continuous learning and improvement.
· Identify, evaluate and highlight opportunities for incentives, credits and other federal, state or other benefits (e.g., the PPP Loan) which could be valuable for I-House to consider.
· Minimum 5+ years’ experience in a senior financial management role in a comparable sized and comparably complex organization.
· Knowledge of best practices employed in financial, administrative, and operational functions. Background in nonprofit finance and accounting rules, regulations, and reporting requirements (GAAP, FASB, Internal Revenue Code, etc.) preferred.
· Finance technology and systems fluency – ability to assess and maximize financial management software for optimal efficiency.
· Demonstrated success in management/supervision of a staff team with emphasis on mentorship through professional development, positive reinforcement and motivation.
· Non-profit experience preferred.
· CPA mandatory, MBA is preferred.
Strategic Financial Thinking
I-House seeks an accomplished finance leader, trained in a rigorous environment, who can provide expert financial leadership and insight in a complex and rapidly changing environment by:
▪ Supporting I-House’s financial strategy and models; identifying and recommending opportunities to senior leadership and the Board that will maintain or improve funding streams; and leveraging the organization’s available resources for maximum programmatic impact;
▪ Ensuring that all policies and procedures are well documented and well understood throughout the organization; and,
▪ Leveraging strong finance and accounting skills to develop accounting judgments and financial processes across a complex organization.
In order to be successful, the next VPF must be able to:
§ Maintain a collegial, customer service-oriented and proactive work environment;
§ Attract, develop, manage, and mentor a strong team of financial talent. Set high standards, assess performance, and establish a high bar of excellence.
§ Provide a focus on efficiency, leveraging technology, effectiveness, and continuous improvement of operational processes. Be a strong systems-thinker, innovative mindset with the ability to creatively and strategically develop efficient operational systems and consistent with I-House policies; and,
§ Build strategic partnerships, externally and internally, in order to keep abreast of new developments.
Communication and Influencing Skills
The VPF will be a collaborative, communicative partner who will lead change through engagement, influence, and a strong service orientation. S/he will:
▪ Be a finance leader who proactively sees opportunities and contributes to the development of systems, policies, and structure to support a world class finance organization;
▪ Ensure that I-House is adhering to the financial elements of its strategic vision, providing status reports to senior leadership and relevant committees of the Board; and,
▪ Have effective interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to engage openly and transparently across a diverse and complex community.
As an effective manager and team motivator who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, the VPF will develop ideas and solutions to drive the implementation of financial systems and services that support the strategic priorities of I-House. S/he will:
▪ Be a leader who sets high standards and encourages ambition, innovation and creativity for finance personnel across the organization;
▪ Lead a financial team through change and growth including realigning roles and responsibilities, increasing expectations, creating a service culture, and developing effective and efficient policies and procedures;
▪ Be a confident manager, coach, and mentor with the ability to attract, develop, and retain a high-quality finance team. S/he will set high standards and assess performance against a high bar of excellence; and,
▪ Advise and collaborate with senior leadership to articulate organizational priorities and implement change in accordance with I-House’s strategic priorities, utilizing superior executive management skills.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Please submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected] with “VP of Finance” in the subject line. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org