1. Organizational Context
Under the guidance and supervision of the Assistant Administrator and Director, Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, the Executive Associate ensures effective and efficient functioning of the office of the Assistant Administrator and Director, RBAP.
The Executive Associate (EA) provides leadership for the protocol functions of the Bureau and gives guidance on the same to the Programme Associates of the Bureau.
The EA works in close collaboration with the Special Assistant to the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP, and the other units of the Bureau to support the implementation of the Bureau’s mandate. The EA maintains close collaborative arrangements with all UN partners, including the UN Secretariat, Programmes and Agencies, as well as with counterparts in the respective Permanent Missions of member states of the region.
The EA serves as focal point for all appointments with the Assistant Administrator and Director RBAP coming from the external partners such as Ambassadors, Parliamentarians, donor country delegation and other high level senior official, as well as from Senior UN System including UNDP senior staff at HQ and in the field.
Full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment and maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made are the fundamentals of the organizational context. The EA is also responsible for the smooth flow of a heavy volume of work dealing with a wide range of confidential matters, under constant time pressure.
Duties and Responsibilities
2. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Office of Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP
- Ensures provision of effective communications and administrative support to the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP
- Provides support to effective advocacy of UNDP and RBAP activities
- Administrative support to the Directorate Unit/RBAP
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Office of Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Manages the schedule /calendar for the Assistant Administrator and Director/RBAP with external and internal parties including visitors from external meetings, determining priority requirements.
- Undertake all travel arrangements for the director in consultation and coordination with the Special Assistant to the Director and other travel agency/unit from the internal or external environment.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Maintenance of correspondence, directives on behalf of Assistant Administrator and Director/RBAP for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the office of Assistant Administrator and Director/RBAP.
- Management of e-mail and correspondence flow, ensuring prioritization and effective follow-up.
Ensures provision of effective communications and administrative support to the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Work in coordination with the Special Assistant to the Director to review, format and finalize all correspondence for proper clearance prior to the Director’s signature; distribute and transmit outgoing correspondence cleared or signed by the Director.
- Direct responses to inquiries and handle Executive Office Email Registry and redirect them to the substantive focal points within RBAP for information and required action.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow-up on circulation files and file and archive incoming and outgoing documents in the Directorate.
- Facilitation of the information sharing between Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Division Chiefs and other Units in HQs and Bangkok Regional Hub.
- Follow up on deadlines of the Executive Office Email Registry and any other email inquiries, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and required submission.
- Screening of all incoming calls, invitations and correspondence and following-up with the Special Assistant to the Director and the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP for further action and decision.
Provides support to effective advocacy of UNDP and RBAP activities in close consultation with the Special Assistant to the Director, Directorate Management and the Division Chiefs focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Work closely with the Special Assistant to the Director to support the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP in facilitating his/her interaction (in sensitive, political, diplomatic, others) with various external partners of RBAP such as ambassadors, donor country delegations, parliamentarians and high-level senior officials, as well as the Administrator and her office.
- Maintenance of information on the Assistant Administrator and Director/RBAP and Directorate activities.
- Updating the intranet directory for the RBAP Directorate.
- Research, obtain and ensure the Director’s requirements for contact information and logistics for meetings and appointments, official missions.
- Regularly update the contact information of the Permanent Missions to the UN, other Units in UNHQs, UNDP HQs as well as Senior Management and relevant Focal Points in Country Offices and Bangkok Regional Hub.
- Assist the Special Assistant to the Director in the Preparation of materials and folders for the Assistant Administrator and Director/RBAP as requested.
- Organize official hospitality for the Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP.
Provides effective administrative and financial support in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Back stops the Special Assistant to the Director during his/her absence.
- Review, research, verify and reconcile ATLAS data and reports ensuring accuracy and compliance with finance and administrative rules and regulations.
- Act as Finance User in ATLAS for payment affecting RBAP Hqs.
- Assists in proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Assist with required travel arrangement and preparation in Directorate and review of travel authorizations, documentation, payments
- Assistance in the preparation, monitoring and reporting of the RBAP Hqs. Budget
- Handles human resources administration issues in the Directorate such as leave monitor, ID/LP application/renewal, etc as required.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Assists Learning Manager in organization of specialized trainings for protocol and administrative /logistic functions;
- Assists Learning Manager in organization of trainings to UNDP RBAP staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues;
- Ensures availability of coverage and backstopping for the Director during his/her official missions and peak times.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the quality and the results orientation of the Regional Bureau and overall achievement of the RBAP Workplan.
BUILDING STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Assists the Directoriate and relevant Units in colleacting and archiving of general information and selection of materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Assists the Directorate and relevant Units in maintaining databases of programme countries and donor information
PROMOTING ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE AND DEVELOPMENT
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system.
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
PROMOTING ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT OF MANAGEMENT PRACTICE
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility
- Understands the organizational structure, knows key functional and operational areas of organizational units and provides inputs to the delivery of management systems and services
- Collects information to ensure increased understanding of policies and practices
JOB KNOWLEDGE/TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provide inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
PROMOTING ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESULTS-BASED MANAGEMENT
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Ethics & Values: Demonstrating/Safeguarding Ethics and Integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Developing & Empowering People/Coaching and Mentoring: Self-development, initiative-taking
- Working in Teams: Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Communicating Information and Ideas: Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Self-Management & Emotional Intelligence: Creating synergies through self-control Conflict Management/Negotiating & Resolving Disagreements: Managing conflict
- Knowledge Sharing & Continuous Learning: Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision-making: Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized administrative or office management training. University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement
- 7 years or more of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Knowledge of ATLAS, Finance, Procurement and Travel module
- Broad exposure to both UNDP and UN staff and partners a significant advantage.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required; working knowledge of other UN official language is an asset
- Passing the UN Clerical or ASAT Examination is a requirement
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*