Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The CWS CROP domestic and international program team works with partners to eradicate hunger and poverty, promote peace and justice and respond to emergencies, both domestic and international. We work with those who want lasting, sustainable change for the world’s most vulnerable people. We operate in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East and on disaster preparedness and response in the United States. We focus on health, water, sanitation, food security and nutrition, disaster risk reduction and reducing the impact of climate change.
The Humanitarian Relief and Development Intern will be engaged with a wide array of program and administrative functions as part of their professional development experience. Under the supervision of the Senior Director for CROP and the Program Officer for Humanitarian and PME Programs, the intern’s specific duties may include:
- Background research on CWS international country programs including socio-economic indicators, culture and national strategic plans relating to CWS and partner country priorities.
- Assisting CWS and partners with an assessment of our domestic disaster program including development and implementation of key survey tools.
- Background research on key areas of CWS and partner strategic sector activities including technical briefs, policy documents and industry best practices.
- Assisting with the development of tool kits for field staff to engage and support CWS Theory of Change documents.
- Support development and maintenance of CWS proposal, report and budget tracking systems including maintaining and expanding shared document platforms and archives and analysis of international relief and development programs.
- Coordination and support for training workshops, strategy sessions and leadership meetings.
- Donor research and the creation of guidelines linking CWS, implementing partner, country government and donor strategic objectives and program activities.
Intern Learning Outcomes:
- Write country research reports regarding current and prospective strategic objectives related to sectors, geography, demographics and capacity building.
- Understand policy and theories of key sectors in international development including health, food security, disaster risk reduction, climate change and livelihood, among others.
- Develop creative, dynamic presentations supporting CWS training and program activities.
- Through research and analysis develop knowledge and understanding of international and local donor strategies, linking them to CWS and partner programmatic and country priorities.
- Develop strong understanding of role and importance of planning, monitoring and evaluation functions in humanitarian and development programming.
- Currently enrolled student in an internationally-focused academic program, preferably at the graduate level
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability and interest in working with and in a culturally diverse team and program
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent IT/Social Media/Presentation skills
- Creative and Solution focused
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*