NEXUS (a global network of investors, entrepreneurs, philanthropists and allies) and its new project, the Healthy Democracy Coalition (HDC), are looking for an effective, visionary leader who is ready to help transform the narrative surrounding American politics away from polarization and towards collaboration. Our primary tool will be philanthropy.
Today, most money for political candidates is found at the wings of our parties. Moderates struggle to attract support. This obstacle, among many others, helps to produce a system that perpetuates division and polarization.
To tackle this issue, the HDC is building a national network of philanthropists that are dedicated to collaboratively funding projects and organizations that strengthen democracy and heal partisan divides.
The available position is for a Program Associate.
The primary tasks of the job will include:
* Conducting outreach to philanthropists both in the pre-existing NEXUS membership and outside of it
* Educating donors (and in some cases employees of grant-making foundations) about the need to strengthen democracy and bridge divides
* Developing partnerships with think tanks, donor affinity groups, academic researchers, policy-focused non-profits, and other institutions
* Researching strategies to support issue-specific consensus building processes, media fairness, election integrity, effective development of legislation, and more.
Additional, minor responsibilities may include:
* Managing communication with a council of advisors
* Organizing events for the members of the Coalition to convene and learn together
* Helping with logistics, accounting, and database management
Ideal candidates should have previous political experience. Pre-existing relationships with networks of donors are valued as well as experience with religious communities, the private sector, the media, and the military.
Candidates should possess
* Strong writing skills.
* Willingness to take initiative and the ability to collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
* Ability to learn quickly and to meet deadlines.
* Excellent organizational, time-management, follow-up, and administrative skills as well as attention to detail.
* Commitment of 40+ hours a week starting in September, 2017
Please send a resume and cover letter. Please put “Healthy Democracy Coalition” in the subject line of the email. In addition, in less than 1000 words, please answer the question: “How would you spend $100 million USD over a period of 5 years to strengthen American democracy and heal partisan divides.”
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*