The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) leads and supports the organization in cultivating, building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of UNDP. Within BERA, the Communications Group leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling.
It is estimated in 2016 that half of the world’s population has direct access to the internet, and the number will continue to grow. As global audiences obtain greater access to the internet, digital communications continue to evolve and become more complex through a diversity of platforms, devices and modalities. Within this growing and changing digital world, social media has become a dominant communication platform globally, and the industry continues to evolve and innovate
Reporting to the Digital Communications Strategist, the Social Media and Celebrity Relations Consultant is part of the Digital and Online team which manages the external communications and engagement of audiences throughout UNDP’s digital ecosystem of websites and third-party applications.
The Consultant is primarily tasked with the day-to-day monitoring and management of UNDP’s social media channels and supporting UNDP’s Goodwill Ambassador program. The consultant achieves global communication objectives through strategic and creative approaches, content and partnerships which engage and through UNDP’s digital channels.
The purpose of this procurement exercise is to contract an individual consultant to support the Digital and Online team which manages the external communications and engagement of audiences throughout UNDP’s digital ecosystem of websites and third-party applications. The consultant will also support UNDP’s Goodwill Ambassador program which sits within the Media and Advocacy team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant will specifically be called upon to support UNDP’s communications efforts in the following areas:
Manage the strategic growth of global audiences through social media
- Working closely with the Digital Communications Strategist, determine digital communication goals for reach and engagement through social media
- Develop, implement and evaluate social media plans based on editorial calendar
- Ensure the proper and selective use of social media for audience development
- Monitor and facilitate communications through social media channels
- Identify potential opportunities and risks which might arise through audience engagement, and propose solutions
- Use social media tools for efficient planning and management of social media channels
Produce and coordinate creative content and strategies for social media
- Work with digital editorial team to ideate and produce creative content for social media
- Identify, build and make use of relationships with influencers and institutional partners to achieve UNDP’s communication objectives
- Test new and emerging approaches to digital communications on social media
Use data to inform decisions on social media
- Analyze user behaviour on social media
- Develop recommendations for implementation based on data analysis
- Provide occasional reports to internal audiences on performance of social media activities
Strengthen global practice of social media
- Advise personnel at global, regional and local levels on standards and best practices for UNDP social media
- Provide trainings and assets to teach skills, impart knowledge and inform on guidelines for effective digital communications especially through social media
- Build capacity for social media at all levels through knowledge sharing
- Continually stay informed on latest social media technologies and practices to ensure effectiveness of UNDP’s digital communication network
- Perform other duties as needed to ensure the healthy functioning of UNDP’s digital communications ecosystem
Support UNDP’s Goodwill Ambassador Programme
- In collaboration with the Manager, Goodwill Ambassadors & Celebrity Relations, support the execution of the Goodwill Ambassador and artist relations strategy and implementation of work plans for celebrity engagement with UNDP; including developing communications materials for GWAs and providing logistical support and planning for events and field missions
- Conduct research to identify established and up-and-coming stars suitable for recruitment as potential new Goodwill Ambassadors. Assist in onboarding of new Goodwill Ambassadors
- Act as primary liaison with UNDP’s social media team to integrate Goodwill Ambassadors into UNDP social media strategy and draft social media copy for Goodwill Ambassadors.
- Monitor, track and keep a record of all Goodwill Ambassador and other celebrity engagements and activities with UNDP, as well as report on results, impact and reach through media and social media channels
- Update Goodwill Ambassador and celebrity-related content on UNDP’s website.
Expected outputs and deliverables:
- Develop and post social media content for UNDP corporate channels and Goodwill Ambassadors– weekly
- Develop and execute social media strategies for major campaigns and events – monthly
- Update best-practice guidelines for video and infographic content for social media, to share with country offices – ongoing throughout the consultancy
Contribute to a 30% growth in social media followers by December 2017
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic communication;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Participate effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and work with diverse people
- Solid graphic design capabilities;
- Familiarity with community engagement are strong assets;
- Familiarity with and strong interest in development issues is desirable;
- Very effective at absorbing new information and using it to tackle obstacles;
- Strong initiative-taker;
- Focuses on impact and results for the client;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a complex multicultural and multinational environment
Required Skills and Experience
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Digital Communications, International Relations or related field
- Minimum 2 years of work experience required in the field of digital communications, design, media marketing, or relevant field
- Experience in graphics design
- At least two years’ experience in social media content creation
- Outstanding skills in communications, and understanding of media, multimedia and social media
- Experience with digital analytics and other social media tools for efficient management of digital communications
- Experience with planning and promoting special events
- Experience in influencer/celebrity outreach and engagement
- Understanding of international development; international relations; or environmental and other relevant issues
- Professional experience in the UN system or similar global organizations.
- Fluency in written and spoken is required;
- Working knowledge of Spanish or French desirable
The application package containing the following (to be uploaded as one file):
- Online application with brief description of why the Offer considers her/himself the most suitable for the assignment; and
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects and specifying the relevant assignment period (from/to), as well as the email and telephone contacts of at least three (3) professional references.
Note the above documents needed to be scanned into one file and uploaded to the online application as a single document.
Shortlisted candidates (ONLY) will be requested to submit a Financial Proposal.
- The financial proposal should specify an all-inclusive daily fee (based on a 7-hour working day - lunch time is not included - and estimated 21.75 days per month).
- The financial proposal must be all-inclusive and take into account various expenses that will be incurred during the contract, including: the daily professional fee; cost of travel from the home base to the duty station and vice versa, where required; living allowances at the duty station; communications, utilities and consumables; life, health and any other insurance; risks and inconveniences related to work under hardship and hazardous conditions (e.g., personal security needs, etc.), when applicable; and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services under the contract.
- This consultancy is a home-based assignment, therefore, there is no envisaged travel cost to join duty station/repatriation travel.
- In the case of unforeseeable travel requested by UNDP, payment of travel costs including tickets, lodging and terminal expenses should be agreed upon, between UNDP and Individual Consultant, prior to travel and will be reimbursed. In general, UNDP should not accept travel costs exceeding those of an economy class ticket. Should the IC wish to travel on a higher class he/she should do so using their own resources.
- If the Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP under a Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP.
The Financial Proposal is to be emailed as per the instruction in the separate email that will be sent to shortlisted candidates.
Applicants are reviewed based on Required Skills and Experience stated above and based on the technical evaluation criteria outlined below. Applicants will be evaluated based on cumulative scoring. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Being responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation where technical criteria weigh 70% and Financial criteria/ Proposal weighs 30%.
Technical evaluation - Total 70% (700 points):
- Demonstrated track record of results-based planning and coordination of digital campaigns, preferably in a social cause-related role. (Maximum 80 points).
- Demonstrate experience in digital marketing or graphic design (Maximum 60 points).
- Demonstrated professional experience in the UN system or similar global organizations. (Maximum 40 points).
- Work experience in the field of digital communications, media marketing, graphic design or relevant field (Maximum 70 points).
- Experience in social media content creation (Maximum 95 points).
- Knowledge in communications and understanding of media, multimedia and social media (Maximum 60 points).
- Experience with digital analytics and other social media tools for efficient management of digital communications (Maximum 70 points).
- Experience in influencer/celebrity outreach and engagement (Maximum 95 points).
- Understanding of international development; international relations; or environmental and other relevant issues (Maximum 60 points).
- Working knowledge of Spanish or French desirable (Maximum 10 points).
- Interview (Maximum 60 points).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*