The Area Managers will be responsible for assessing the need for, and organizing the delivery of, technical assistance and grant support to local governance institutions in their respective areas in Syria.
The Area Managers will assure successful completion of assigned responsibilities, including extensively coordinating activities with a wide range of non-governmental organizations while exercising a high degree of judgement and initiative in planning for short and long range programming requirements, as well as in determining the most effective and efficient approaches to meet project goals and objectives.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serving as an advisor to the Deputy Team Lead in developing, implementing, managing, and evaluating programs for DFID Syria governance activities;
- Facilitate the work of the capacity building and M&E team in developing criteria for assessing the quality and capabilities of Syrian governance institutions;
- Facilitate the capacity-building activities in close coordination with the capacity building specialist for Syrian local councils and civil society groups to include coordinated and inclusive engagement with these client institutions;
- Providing operational guidance on all logistical issues related to deliver the technical assistance and grants support;
- Developing and evaluating program strategies;
- Planning and organizing the grants support engagement for civil society and/or local governance institutions, and is responsible for overseeing awards in the field and coordinating closely with the grants team;
- Utilizing expertise in civilian administration and governance development to help guide implementers in planning, implementing, and evaluating program activities and products;
- Meeting with and briefs stakeholders and provides assessments of the status of program activities;
- Developing professional relations with key stakeholders, including representative from the Syrian opposition, NGOs and international/regional organizations to ensure integrated planning, coordination, and consensus on priorities;
- Based on knowledge of civil society capacity development, identifying relevant gaps where project support, including planning, assessment, can be provided to better improve outcomes;
- Providing substantive analysis and reporting on local Syrian conflict and stabilization initiatives and the background context and perspective to achieved objectives;
- Provide inputs to the periodic program progress reports as assigned by the Senior Management;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, international development, public administration, finance, planning or a related field as approved by the Project Director;
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience coordinating with local partner organizations;
- Substantive knowledge and experience working on conflict and stabilization issues, such as civilian administration, governance, community development, and/or democratic processes;
- Strong spoken and written English and Arabic language abilities mandatory. Turkish required for Turkish office;
- Experience in working with emerging local governance structures;
- Experience managing/implementing activities with significant engineering and/or governance components, building relationships with local governance institutions, grants-making/training;
- Prior experience managing capacity-building projects for Syrian local councils and civil society groups through frequent engagement with implementers;
- Experience independently managing and/or implementing cooperative agreements, grants or contracts, especially programs related to governance and capacity building training.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours;
- Tactfulness, truthfulness, good human relationship skills, integrity, honesty, and the ability to work under pressure to accomplish work tasks within assigned time periods;
- Good communication skills, Strong team player with high team spirit and positive attitude.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*