Do you want to make a difference? Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Program Officer, Africa.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, Africa, the Program Officer is responsible for specific projects and initiatives of the Canadian Red Cross in Africa.
The Program Officer will support the management of international development activities in Africa. The position is substantially involved in international development coordination from program and project design through implementation, assisting in the financial allocation, delegate deployments and information support.
Program Management Support
· Support the development of Project Implementation Plans and workplans as well as different assessments and evaluations.
· Support project coordination, ensuring deadlines and processes are accomplished as per CRC quality and accountability standards.
· Oversee components of projects as allocated by the Program Manager, including but not limited to project work plans, communication strategies, and sustainability and exit strategies.
· Review and edit narrative and financial project reports, in compliance with donor requirements.
· Assess project reports and monitor progress based on expected project outcomes.
· Review and analyze monthly financial reports and monitor progress of financial expenditures, working closely with Finance Unit.
· Provide support in drafting abstracts/posters for different conferences, compiling key results and drafting promotional materials, in coordination with Public Affairs.
· Maintain an effective program/project filing system locally and on corporate file system (PIMS).
· Provide HR Management support on onboarding of new project staff, preparing consultants’ contracts and briefing of consultants.
· Maintain strong networks and relationships within CRC and with external stakeholders as they relate to projects.
· Monitor security situation in project areas, with support from the Security Advisor, and maintain updated security and contingency plans.
· Raise issues of concerns (operational, financial or reputational) to management.
· Undertake field missions as requested.
Program/Project Development and Support
· Conduct relevant background research related to project proposals and concepts (sectoral, government priorities, political and society issues, funding criteria, implementation approaches, etc.).
· Support the preparation of project proposals as directed by the Program Manager or Head of Region, Africa.
· Contribute to the development of appropriate project management documents (Logic model, theory of change model, work breakdown structure, measurement framework and risk register) based on existing standard tools.
Overall Department Support
· Provide back-up to colleagues as required.
· Participate in the development and dissemination of operational policy frameworks for International Operations.
· Foster team work through professional exchanges of experience and expertise that can be transferred to other programs/regions and by participating in inter-departmental tasks or working groups as assigned by the Head of Region or Program Manager, Africa.
· Ensure sharing and dissemination of program related materials to all concerned actors in the Canadian Red Cross or externally at conferences or meetings.
· Bachelors Degree in International Affairs / Development, Public Health, Social Sciences or degree in a related discipline.
· 3-5 years experience in international development/humanitarian response, including 1 year of international experience in a developing country context, preferably in Africa.
· Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English and French are essential;
· Proven budgeting and project management skills at all stages of the project management cycles, including project planning.
· Experience in program/project research and development, including proposal writing.
· Strong attention to detail and time management skills.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Self starter; able to work in an environment with ambiguity.
· Demonstrated ability to be a supportive and productive team member.
· Previous Red Cross experience an advantage.
· Strong Microsoft skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*