At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking an International Government Affairs Manager for the Global Government Affairs Center of Excellence within 3M Government Affairs, located in Washington, DC. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The role is responsible for representing 3M’s positions before domestic and international trade institutions, the international diplomatic community, multilateral and bilateral institutions, and other international audiences to advance 3M’s commercial diplomacy goals of advocating for policies and fostering political relationships that will enable business success. The position further requires collaboration with 3M’s government affairs team globally, as well as the company’s regulatory, legal, compliance teams as well as business and operations executives to help develop and advocate for the company’s positions on international public policy issues, including U.S. and international trade policy and foreign affairs, as well as monitoring and reporting on all international issues impacting the company. The position also requires close, cross functional work to coordinate international and US federal messaging, lobbying, and outreach. Executing well on these tasks will bring important value to the Global Government Affairs Center of Excellence, a team that sits at the hub of our government affairs team globally and serves as a support center to our international business operations and international government affairs region and country managers.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Representing the company before, interacting with, and lobbying the United States Congress, Office of the United States Trade Representative, Department of State, the White House, Health and Human Services, United States Patent and Trademark Office, the Department of Commerce and other relevant agencies in coordination with 3M’s Federal Government Affairs team as it relates to foreign affairs matters.
- Participating in and representing the company’s positions, or staff company executives where appropriate, on international trade advisory committees and other relevant international bodies such as the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations and related organizations, the World Bank, the World Health Organization, the World Trade Organization, the World Intellectual Property Organization —and regional development banks and economic development institutions.
- Assisting in developing language for market access, intellectual property, and other relevant chapters related to trade agreements.
- Drafting testimony, responses, comments and other research for submissions to international and national government bodies related to international trade, customs and public policy matters.
- Monitoring and analyzing international trade and customs issues relating to the company’s operations.
- Championing commercial diplomacy by identifying and mapping key influencers, maintaining and fostering relationships with foreign embassies, business council and trade association delegations, and foreign government officials.
- Attending and assisting in coordinating meetings of as well as monitor activities and report on the international, commercial diplomacy, and bilateral business councils to which the company is a member.
- Coordinating, managing or supporting the company’s participation in international affairs, trade and other foreign affairs policy related committees at trade associations as well as ad hoc coalitions and associated task forces.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ combined experience as a government relations liaison with a major multinational company or industry trade association, a legislative aide in the U.S. Congress, and/or as a public servant in a relevant government department or agency, such as the U.S. Departments of Commerce or State, White House National Security Council, and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- Master’s degree in International Affairs (or similar degree) or MBA from an accredited institution
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- Background and familiarity with international trade, economics or national security policy matters
- The ability to quickly grasp and address a variety of legislative and regulatory issues facing 3M, its industry, and customers’ industries and how they impact company
- The ability to build and maintain strong bipartisan relationships
- A global perspective and the ability to understand the implications of policy proposals on the global marketplace
- Strong communications and presentation skills, leadership capabilities, individual initiative and creativity skills, ability to work in a collaborative environment, and exercising good judgement
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*