The media relations manager spearheads the innovative strategy that brings PHR's voice and story to new audiences. The media relations manager creates media communications plans, responds to media inquiries, proactively reaches out to journalists, develops messaging, and writes/edits communications for multiple communications platforms, including social media. This position cultivates and maintains relationships with the media, conducts media training, and regularly updates PHR’s media contact lists. The media relations manager must be a media-savvy, team-oriented professional with solid writing, relationship building, and pitching skills.
- Develop and manage national and international media relationships and lead outreach efforts to support PHR’s messaging and publications;
- Provide coaching and interview prep to empower PHR staff, board members, and other experts to confidently represent PHR;
- Integrate media relations efforts into a larger communications strategy to develop brand awareness of PHR, its staff, and other experts;
- Respond promptly to incoming media inquiries;
- Write, edit, and package persuasive and newsworthy content about PHR that can be easily repurposed by you or others into blog posts, tweets, comments, traditional press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and talking points;
- Take the lead on expanding PHR’s content types including video, audio, and graphic products;
- Lead cross-functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships, and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of PHR’s work;
- Maintain and utilize Meltwater media clip service to monitor daily news coverage and propose responses, releases, interviews, or other media tactics based on that coverage;
- Track media mentions of PHR and its experts;
- Write, edit, and issue press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials;
- Maintain and build media lists based on relevant topics and geographic areas, as well as medium-specific lists for print, digital, TV, and radio contacts;
- Serve as lead rapid responder on breaking news and media opportunities;
- Manage social media strategy (currently Facebook and Twitter accounts);
- Supervise the work of communications associate on daily social media posts;
- Compile and submit monthly internal media reports;
- Other duties as assigned by the director of communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- 5-7 years’ experience in media relations and communications;
- Genuine excitement about bringing PHR’s stories to new audiences;
- Excellent written and communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch, and secure feature coverage in top-tier media;
- A creative thinker who is able to navigate complexity to get to the heart of and develop a great story;
- Familiarity with Meltwater, Cision, or comparable media database;
- Demonstrated understanding of social media best practices;
- Demonstrated project management experience;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle high-pressure situations and competing media issues.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
Please send a cover letter (with compensation requirements) and resume to [email protected], including “Media Relations Manager” in the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org