EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation builds opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 15 emerging market countries. Harnessing the resources of the emerging market financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across three themes related to youth development: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. EMpower has a global platform with offices in the United States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong, and country presences in India and Turkey. See www.empowerweb.org.
The Senior Programme Officer, based in Hong Kong, has primary responsibility for the grants portfolio in China including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam. S/he will manage and expand this portfolio and also provide or facilitate related capacity building assistance to strengthen grantee partners. S/he will report to the Executive Vice President/Global Head of Programmes based in New York.
- Develop country strategies to guide grantmaking investments
- Pro-actively source and screen potential grantee partners
- Recommend grant investments, conducting due diligence, reviewing and negotiating proposals and budgets with prospective and current grantee partners.
- Prepare written grant summaries; present recommendations to Grants Committees (directors and donors)
- Monitor grants through visits, grant reports and correspondence; provide feedback to grantees
- Provide programmatic content for proposals and reports to donors; facilitate occasional visits by directors/donors to grantees
- Review and prepare analyses of grantees’ final reports; provide feedback to grantees, summaries for board, staff and EMpower communication materials
- Provide or arrange technical assistance for capacity building of grantee partner organizations; plan/assist in facilitating learning exchanges among grantees; review or develop content for technical assistance products
- Represent EMpower and the E/SE Asia portfolio before diverse audiences, including donors
- Network with other funders and international organizations regarding due diligence and collaborative grant- making opportunities
- Share lessons from EMpower grantees and program experience through panels, articles, social media etc.
- Other ad hoc assignments that may arise
- Knowledge of philanthropic and non-profit sectors in E/SE Asia; experience in grants management desired.
- Work experience with community-based organizations
- Strong English speaking and writing abilities. Proficiency in Mandarin, Bahasa or Vietnamese desirable.
- Experience with youth development, preferably related to reproductive and sexual health, education, or job creation and skills-building
- Self-starter; highly organized; proven ability to work independently, anticipate, prioritize, complete multiple projects and meet deadlines, with consistent attention to detail
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to work independently with high degree of judgment and professionalism, as well as virtually with a team across multiple time zones (requiring some evening calls)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with culturally diverse audiences; from at-risk youth to high profile finance professionals. Client-facing and public speaking skills desirable
- Ability to negotiate complex situations or relationships with sensitivity and tact
- Graduate degree related to international development
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programmes
- Ability to work in Hong Kong and to travel in the region (up to 30% annually)
Interested applicants should send a CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line: E/SE Asia Senior Program Officer.
Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please