The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will work with the Chief Evaluation Officer as part of a team to provide monitoring and evaluation (M&E) technical support for CIPE projects and programs, with particular focus on projects funded by the National Endowment for Democracy (NED). The M&E Specialist is expected to work independently with CIPE regional and global staff to assist them with development and management of evaluation plans in alignment with NED and CIPE evaluation policies and criteria.
Major M&E Specialist responsibilities include:
- Provide technical assistance to CIPE staff in the design of evaluation and data collection efforts, including on: monitoring and evaluation plans; identification of appropriate objectives and indicators; logic models, logical frameworks and/or theories of change; and survey and focus group protocols.
- Support the management of evaluation and data collection efforts, including such tasks as data quality assurance and data management; implementation of sampling plans, survey and focus group protocols, and in-house evaluation research; and recruitment and management of external evaluation consultants.
- Support the reporting of evaluation and data collection efforts, including such tasks as establishing internal deadlines for staff; reviewing, providing feedback to staff and editing reports; assessing projects using internal criteria; and sharing lessons learned.
- Building a culture of evaluation based upon CIPE evaluation strategies and tools consistent with CIPE’s organizational objectives and strategic plan. This includes:
- Assisting in developing and providing training and technical assistance to staff and partners in order to build their monitoring and evaluation capacity.
- Assisting in developing or revising M&E tools and guidance.
- Participating in developing, researching and writing evaluations, research papers, articles, case studies, and other studies on CIPE programs and themes as assigned, including designing tables and graphs, and interpreting results in written form.
- Provide evaluation administrative and logistical support, including arranging travel, preparing briefing materials, processing of payments, organizing meetings and processing consultant contracts.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other donor and international organizations as well as evaluation communities of practice in collaboration with the Chief Evaluation Office to create linkages with CIPE strategies and to monitor evaluation trends.
M&E Specialist minimum qualifications include:
- Master’s degree (or above) in international development, economics, public policy or related field, including formal training in research methods and program evaluation;
- Knowledge of or successful past experience conducting research or evaluation, preferably cross-culturally;
- Program evaluation and research skills using both qualitative and quantitative data, including data analysis and presentation using charts and graphs;
- Commitment to ethical and professional standards of research and evaluation, including work with potentially vulnerable populations;
- Familiarity with or an ability to quickly come up to speed on democratization challenges, advocacy, business association and civil society capacity building, good governance, and U.S. assistance programs;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience in teaching or training, especially based upon principles of adult professional education;
- Strong Proficiency in the MS Office Suite;
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills;
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, and as part of a small team; and
- Flexibility and willingness to travel;
M&E Specialist other desired qualifications include:
- Ability to develop and manage a database;
- Proficiency in data analysis or statistical software;
- Experience with logic models, logframes, theories of change, and results frameworks;
- Prior experience working with international donor agencies and knowledge of their preferred reporting methods and tools for M&E; and/or
- Experience with or knowledge of working with a gender lens in program development and evaluation.
Please send cover letter, resume or CV, salary expectation and brief writing sample (no more than 4 pages) to [email protected] with ‘M&E-[YOURLASTNAME]’ in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States. CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas. CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.