CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL PRIVATE ENTERPRISE
Position Available: 8/1/18
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Senior Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa
Reports to: Regional Director – Middle East and North Africa
Scope: This position is based in Washington, D.C. with travel to the region. This position is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of country strategies, communications strategies, and support grants to indigenous business associations, think tanks, and other civil society organizations. The position reports to the Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategy for accomplishing CIPE’s objectives on improving transparency and accountability in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), specifically (but not limited to) programs in Iraq, the Gulf, and Yemen.
- Design, implement and manage a portfolio of projects and grants for assigned region, supportive of CIPE’s overall goals and particular country strategies for target countries. Project responsibilities have the following dimensions:
- Develop donor concept papers, proposals, reports and correspondence
- Serve as CIPE’s representative to promote democratic market-oriented institutional reforms in developing countries. This will include developing and implementing training programs, public speaking at conferences and events and other public outreach activities, and facilitating meetings with partners and potential partners.
- Analyze, research and be familiar with the region’s political and economic landscape, identifying opportunities for CIPE added value and programming.
- Identify potential partner organizations and beneficiaries’ in-country and work with them to design effective democratic and economic-reform programs.
- Analyze both solicited and unsolicited project proposals in the context of the regional socio-political context, CIPE strategy, grant guidelines and criteria. Work with partners to refine proposals, monitoring and evaluation plans, and project budgets.
- Manage, monitor and implement all project activities, in collaboration with local partner organization.
- Establish and maintain regular communications with project partners. Maintain correspondence and operational records regarding CIPE-funded programs in MENA.
- Monitor grantee performance to ensure full compliance with objectives, financial and reporting requirements, and evaluation plans.
- Evaluate projects – through on-site visits, file reviews, and coordination with independent evaluators where appropriate.
- Develop project reports, summaries and assessments.
- Assist the Iraq Country Representative to manage CIPE’s field office in Iraq, which includes oversight and leadership on all project activities, budgets and expenditures; coordinating and supervising program field staff; and providing logistical support and guidance for program implementation.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other donor organizations to identify linkages with CIPE strategies, monitor trends, and assess new funding opportunities. Work with the U.S. State Department, USAID, and other assistance programs to develop joint projects, grants and/or contracts to further democratic and economic reform initiatives.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
- Monitor current events, including political and economic changes, and US relations in MENA and assess the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Supervise, develop and manage junior program staff, including Program Assistants, Program Coordinators, Assistant Program Officers, Program Officers, and interns.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in International Relations or related field
- Minimum ten years professional experience with international assistance programs, including two involving the region
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Strong project management skills
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage, and supervise junior staff
- Working knowledge of Arabic appreciated, but not required
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Must be willing to travel for extended and multiple periods
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected]; subject “SPOMENA-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas. CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.