The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Funded by the European Union (EU), the STEP Democracy Programme is a long-term programme designed to support Myanmar’s democratic transition. Beginning in 2015, STEP will continue its support to electoral processes, political participation and representation and robust legal frameworks under its second phase (STEP II) extending until 2021. This will be done through a consortium of nine partners and extensive partnerships with national institutions including the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties, civil society and the media. STEP Democracy has a strong commitment to an open and flexible approach to democratic reform which is mindful of the rich history and cultural diversity of Myanmar and which does not seek to impose solutions.
International IDEA will continue to provide ongoing technical support to the Union Election Commission in its embedded office in Nay Pyi Taw. It is within this framework that an Associate Programme Officer will be recruited.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the implementation of the yearly UEC technical support workplans devised under the STEP II programme;
- Supports coordination between International IDEA, the UEC and STEP partners as needed;
- Supports results collection including completion of reporting templates; drafts and synthesises programme activity reports; updates programme logframes and assists in monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Develops, maintains and enhances the database of key programme contacts;
- Plans and executes distribution of International IDEA publications and information updates by electronic means and in hard copy;
- Contributes to knowledge production including drafting news articles, programme updates, information briefs, infographics and media scans;
- Manages the scheduling of programme activities and provides support to relevant meetings;
- Provides written translations and oral interpretation in meetings and workshops;
- Assists in the preparation of programme-related documents and reports.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and initial experience in their field including reporting, monitoring and evaluation, administrative, coordination and liaison skills;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager, Elections.
- Has good knowledge in own discipline and some understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Has experience working in the field of democratic governance;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented; Has a good understanding of the constitution and political context of Myanmar;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design , management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;Has strong programme reporting, administration, logistical and coordination skills;
- Has the ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders including government officials, civil society organizations, political parties etc.;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Is able to solve problems of varying degrees of complexity; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
Education and Experience
- University degree in political science, social science, public administration, law, or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum three (3) years’ of relevant experience including substantial internship(s) working with reporting, monitoring and evaluation, administration and coordination;
- Experience working in an international environment would be an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Myanmar language is essential; an additional language in an International IDEA region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be considered an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org