Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Director, Division for Sustainable Development Goals, Department of Economic and Social Affairs at UN Headquarters in New York. The Division for Sustainable Development Goals, under the Department of Economic and Social Affairs, provides leadership in promoting and coordinating the implementation of the sustainable development agenda of the United Nations and serves as the Secretariat for the Sustainable Development Goals. The Sustainable Development Expert reports to the Director, focusing on the implementation of a capacity building project on 'Unleashing full potentials of micro-, small- and medium-enterprises (MSMEs) in achieving sustainable development goals in developing countries'.
Within delegated authority, the Sustainable Development Expert will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides substantive and administrative support to the capacity development work of the Division in implementing the MSME for sustainable development project at the national level;
- Monitors the MSME for sustainable development project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Engages with stakeholders in supporting MSMEs – ministries or governmental agencies and public officials that oversee and manage government support to MSMEs, business associations and financing institutions that have been set up to foster the growth of MSMEs, MSME entrepreneurs and relevant civil society groups;
- Performs planning and facilitating workshops on MSME issues in assisting in developing action plans countries will use to strengthen the MSME sector;
- Develops draft policy recommendations on MSMEs for sustainable development issues, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Formulates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs on sustainable development issues, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations on MSMEs for sustainable development issues;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff on MSMEs for sustainable development issues;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of the UN sustainable development agenda. Understanding of the micro, small, medium enterprises (MSME) sector. Knowledge of development financing. Ability to apply theories, concepts and approaches on MSMEs for sustainable development. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic resources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, natural resources management or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management or policy-oriented work in a broad range of sustainable development issues. Experience in coordinating technical assistance and capacity building for MSME growth in lower middle-income countries is required. Experience engaging with various stakeholders, including ministries or governmental agencies and public officials that oversee and manage government support to the business community, business associations, financing institutions and relevant civil society groups is required. Experience in organizing and/or facilitating global and national workshops on sustainable development issues is desirable. Experience in building partnerships with emerging donor countries and the private sector is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org