The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has the mandate to foster economic growth in Asia by investing in infrastructure and other productive areas and promoting regional cooperation and partnership.
AIIB’s investment portfolio has been growing rapidly since its operations began in January 2016. By end-2018, AIIB has approved 35 investment projects totaling USD7.5 billion in net commitments, of which about 34 percent were in the energy sector, 26 percent in the transport sector and 14 percent in the water sector. In the next two years, AIIB is planning to add USD8-10 billion in assets to its investment portfolio.
To strengthen the quality of the project implementation, AIIB’s Implementation Monitoring Unit (IMU) is recruiting a Senior Portfolio Monitoring Officer with engineering background and experience in infrastructure project supervision. The officer is expected to provide technical inputs and operational support to AIIB’s supervision and monitoring activities for AIIB-funded infrastructure investment projects.
- Assist Management in reviewing Project Implementation Monitoring Reports and other supervision documents such as aide memoires and back-to-office reports prepared by project teams for both sovereign-backed and nonsovereign-backed projects in AIIB’s investment portfolio.
- Assist project or portfolio monitoring teams in reviewing technical reports prepared by the implementing agencies (or technical advisor consultants) in:
- Assessing project implementation status.
- Assessing compliance with relevant AIIB policies, particularly AIIB’s procurement and environmental and social policies and sectoral/thematic strategies.
- Identifying technical issues that need special attention.
- Providing recommendations to project teams and Management on how to address those issues.
- Review and prepare terms of reference for project- or sector-related work (for example, terms of reference for technical advisors or technical specialist consultants to be commissioned by borrowers).
- Carry out technical inspections of physical works and quality records.
- Participate in AIIB’s supervision or monitoring missions, including site visits, for selected projects (e.g., high-risk projects or problem projects) and assist the respective project teams in helping clients manage project risks and/or resolve implementation problems.
- Contribute specific professional knowledge both for clients and AIIB’s operational staff on project implementation, contract management, environment-friendly construction, quality assurance best practice and developmental issues.
- Provide technical inputs to quarterly portfolio monitoring reports that will be presented to Senior Management and the Board.
- Carry out other tasks that may be assigned by the IMU Manager.
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant experience in the design and implementation of infrastructure projects, including at least five years in civil engineering, construction implementation and contract management for investment projects in energy, transport and/or water sectors.
- Technical site inspection and construction monitoring experience—demonstrated ability to review technical specification and drawings and verify quality and compliance of construction works.
- Adequate knowledge of international good practices in fiduciary and safeguards oversight for infrastructure investments.
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders, NGOs, private sector, international organizations, development partners and with government agencies.
- Experience in infrastructure projects in developing countries in Asia would be an advantage.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (in English) with demonstrated ability to think strategically and synthesize complex issues (translated into effective oral and written briefs).
- Ability to collaborate with other team members and contribute productively to the team's work and output while demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Master's degree or above from a reputable university.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the employee level at which a successful applicant will enter AIIB.