WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Internal Controls and Oversight Branch (RMRC) manages the annual process for preparation of the Statement on Internal Control, conducts management-side analysis of priority issues on oversight findings, manages the Anti-fraud and Anti-corruption (AFAC) function, and centrally coordinates donor reviews.
This job is located in WFP’s HQ in Rome, Italy, and reports to P3/P4 Oversight and Internal Control Officer.
The Oversight Analyst P2 will conduct analysis of oversight reports, collect and synthesize information from functional and operational management, prepare governing body reports, and prepare summaries, briefings, and presentations to support organizational processes (e.g. oversight reporting, annual Executive Director’s Statement on Internal Control exercise).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding oversight recommendations and agreed actions from Internal Audits, Inspections, Proactive Integrity Reviews, External Audit, and Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) reports;
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with WFP recommendation owners and team members tasked with follow-up;
- Participate in the process of resolution of oversight issues, including issues for which action has not been taken within a reasonable timeframe;
- Draft the periodic report on high risk issues for the Audit Committee;
- Draft the report to the Executive Board on Joint Inspection Unit reports relevant to the work of WFP, including coordination of WFP responses/information in response to JIU recommendations to ensure consistency and accuracy. Initiate discussions with relevant operational and functional management where required;
- Draft WFP input to inter-agency comments on JIU reports; collect feedback from functional management and initiate discussions as needed;
- Prepare summaries, briefings, and presentations to support organizational processes (e.g. consolidated oversight reporting, annual Executive Director’s Statement on Internal Control exercise). Make proposals, develop solutions, and communicate with key internal actors; Identify and propose escalation of issues that merit executive management attention/decision.
- Draft high-quality reports for WFP governing bodies and senior management on internal control and oversight matters.
- Draft policies, guidelines, procedures and other documents to support the development of appropriate internal control and accountability frameworks.
- Undertake research and analysis on internal control and oversight issues to enable the provision of comprehensive advisory services to WFP divisions and country offices.
- Facilitate increased awareness of internal control principles and tools to manage risk and enable well-informed decisions.
- Other as required.
- Professional Experience: At least 3 years of post-graduate professional experience in internal control, management oversight, management support, donor partnerships audit, accounting, compliance, evaluation, finance, risk management, business administration or related field
- Education: Advanced University degree in International Relations, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Law, Management, Statistics, or other related field; or First University degree with additional relevant professional experience.
- Skills and Knowledge:
- Sensitivity to the needs of stakeholders including donors and organizational management.
- Excellent English writing skills and ability to independently prioritize and plan.
- Analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving skills; resourcefulness, initiative, good judgement, tact, diplomacy and strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to synthesize complex information into digestible summaries tailored to stakeholder needs.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Knowledge of UN/WFP governance, organizational structures, strategy and major initiatives.
- Understanding of UN/WFP rules, regulations and policies.
- Experience writing for governing body and senior management audiences.
- Knowledge of internal control and the WFP Oversight Framework.
- Understanding of the impact of control gaps on the organisation’s objectives.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org