Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, Policy and Programme Bureau, the Regional Director is responsible for leading and managing the RO and for providing leadership and managerial oversight in the region on the direction, strategic design and planning of UN Women regional initiatives as well as contribution to and integration of UN Women interventions in the broader UN development framework and reform. S/he is also responsible for providing managerial support, guidance and oversight of the RO, Multi-Country Offices (MCO) and Country Offices (CO) programme implementation and operations (financial, human resources and administrative), and for political, advocacy, strategic partnership, resource mobilization and representation activities to promote UN Women goals, competencies, interests and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the strategic direction of the Regional Office and the region:
- Develop and manage the implementation of UN Women’s regional vision and strategy;
- Identify programme opportunities, approaches, and modalities; make recommendations on regional programme strategies;
- Provide direction in the formulation of high quality and relevant regional and country programmes and projects;
- Lead the establishment of the regional annual work plans in collaboration and discussion with the regional team;
- Lead the RO senior management team; contribute to UN Women’s senior management meetings in strategic planning and formulation of regional and global policy and strategies.
Oversee programme management and monitoring of the projects/ programmes in the region:
- Oversee the overall management of the CO and MCO programmes;
- Lead the regional programme and project planning and review processes to ensure that financial resource allocations, organizational structure and staff planning are in line with programme needs;
- Lead and oversee the appraisal and approval of UN Women programmes;
- Lead and guide the RO’s consolidated and coordinated programme, policy and normative support and technical advisory services to MCOs and COs in the region;
- Monitor and ensure the appropriate utilization of resources of regional programmes and projects that are managed by the Regional Office.
Lead the management of human and financial resources of the Regional Office:
- Set performance plans and evaluation standards; ensure performance reviews are implemented;
- Lead and manage the regional budget preparation and submission process to ensure budget proposals are correctly presented and submitted;
- Establish and oversee the Regional Office security strategy, plan, and measures to ensure the protection and security of UN Women’s staff, eligible dependents, property and operations.
Advocate for UN Women’s mandate and lead UN Inter-Agency coordination and intergovernmental support:
- Consult and/or engage senior partners in the Regional UN Development Group (UNDG)/UN system, and Regional Development Team (RDT) and Regional Coordinator Management (RCM), in programming, policy discussions, agenda setting and to actively promote gender equality and women's empowerment issues and its integration in UN programming processes;
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation of reports for presentation to inter-governmental bodies such as the Commission on the Status of Women, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs;
- Review and endorse reports prior to submission to the Director, Programme Division;
- Represent, lead, coordinate and contribute to strategic and policy discussion on gender equality, and women empowerment issues within the UN system, intergovernmental, international, regional and national conferences and meetings and advocate for UN Women's policy and initiatives;
- Represent UN Women with governments, UN agencies, NGOs, academia, media and the private sector to raise awareness and stimulate action to advance gender equality and women's rights.
Lead strategic partnership building and oversee resource mobilization strategies:
- Maximize partnership opportunities to mobilize resources for UN Women programmes and initiatives;
- Oversee the development and management of regional resource mobilization strategies, plans and efforts in the region;
- Provide strategic direction, advice and guidance to Country Representatives in mobilizing resources for their COs/ MCO; Oversee CO’s/MCO partnership agreements including cost sharing agreements in line with the corporate Delegation of Authority; Provide COs/MCO with donor intelligence;
- Finalize donor reports from COs/MCO for quality assurance and compliance.
Participate in knowledge management and capacity building efforts:
- Ensure regular assessments of regional and country strategic and implementation plans;
- Lead the design, collection, and dissemination of knowledge products and promote knowledge sharing and building.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality development and guidance of clear regional strategy;
- Timely achievement of programme results across the region in line with the UN Women Strategic Plan;
- Regional Office performs against set plans and standards; performance of staff;
- Quality and timely advice and direction to Country Representatives;
- Increased awareness and incorporation of UN Women’s mandate into government and UN system programming/ initiatives;
- Timely and quality reporting, knowledge products and donor proposals;
- Timely and quality recommendations and strategic insight to HQ on region;
- Funds mobilized for the region.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to envision and lead the strategic direction for UN Women in the region;
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to lead fund raising strategies and activities and proactively engage with the multilateral and bilateral donor community;
- Demonstrated political acumen and technical capacity in representing the organization effectively in national and international fora to advocate and to promote organizational priorities, initiatives;
- Strong knowledge of countries in the region;
- Experience in oversight or managing programs in, or close to, emergencies and conflict situations;
- Strong knowledge of UN system.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in a development-related area, including economics, public policy or other social science fields.
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes some of which should be in the area of gender equality, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds, Programmes, or UN Mission;
- Experience with managing, supporting and overseeing development policy-making, programme and operations management, resource mobilization and partnership creation;
- Experience leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Arabic and French language desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org