Education For Employment (EFE) is the leading youth employment organization in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Our mission is to create economic opportunities for unemployed youth in the MENA so that they can create a brighter future for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Operating in the region with the world’s highest youth unemployment rates, we pioneered market-driven skills training for youth that links them directly to job opportunities and the world of work. EFE’s distinctive model has been recognized as one of the world’s most effective social innovations at the World Economic Forum, UN and the World Bank. Arabian Business, The Economist, Harvard Business Review, and many more have praised EFE’s work. Read more about EFE’s work at www.efe.org.
Program Officer Responsibilities
The Program Officer is a member of the Washington, DC based global program team, and reports to the Senior Program Manager. Program Officers work in close partnership with EFE affiliates in the MENA region and provide programmatic, technical and fundraising support. Given EFE’s affiliate structure, the partnership between EFE’s global program team and senior affiliate staff members is paramount. As the one of the primary points of contact with EFE affiliates, Program Officers are expected to demonstrate excellent personal, professional and relationship management skills, taking into consideration the context in which EFE affiliates operate, and their organizational development stage.
As a member of the program team, the Program Officer is also expected to contribute to EFE’s overall program development and contribute to and/or manage special projects outside the country specific scope of their responsibilities as needed. The Program Officer will also supervise a Program Associate and together, work as a team in partnership with EFE affiliates to ensure the achievement of programmatic and organizational objectives.
Program Management, Oversight and Support: Manage EFE programs and projects, including supporting EFE Affiliates in planning and implementation of program activities and the successful achievement of program benchmarks.
o Support the Affiliates in developing and maintaining annual work plans and ensure they meet agreed-upon program deliverables.
o Manage sub-awards and sub-contracts to EFE Affiliates and external partners and ensure compliance with prime grant or contract requirements and sub agreement deliverables.
o Oversee the financial management of assigned projects to ensure compliance with donor and international requirements.
o Develop and ensure timely submission of all required donor reports.
o Maintain strong relationships with EFE donors and partners.
Business Development: Research and identify new funding sources to support EFE’s programming at the global and affiliate levels.
o Lead proposal development process for government, corporate and private funders.
o Draft project budgets and budget narratives in collaboration with EFE Finance Department.
· Four or more years’ experience in program management and implementation in the non-profit or private sectors.
· A Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, International Relations, Business Administration or a related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
· Outstanding project management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, work independently and take initiative, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
· Excellent writing skills. Demonstrated ability to draft proposals, reports, and results of research or other organizational documents with minimal supervision.
· Strong communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to professionally engage and work with key EFE stakeholders in various settings including affiliate leadership and staff, donors, peer organizations and other key stakeholders in the US and the MENA region.
· Experience managing staff and working in a team oriented manner to achieve program objectives.
· French or Arabic language skills strongly preferred.
· USAID project management and proposal development experience strongly preferred.
· Middle East & North Africa regional expertise a plus.
· Availability and willingness to travel to the MENA region as necessary to advance EFE’s objectives (approximately 20% travel anticipated).
The following qualities are essential to all applicants:
· High energy individual who demonstrates flexibility in work priorities, capable of multi-tasking and operating efficiently and effectively across multiple areas of responsibility.
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and has a “do what it takes” mentality in order to achieve EFE’s objectives.
· Demonstrated capacity to exercise independent judgment and sound decision-making in the midst of diverse and complex organizational environments.
· Flexibility and willingness to take initiative.
· Strong team orientation, relationship-building and negotiation skills, and ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people.
· Quick learner and self-starter with a high degree of intellectual curiosity.
· Positive energy and attitude.
· A passion for EFE’s mission.
This is a full time position based in Washington, DC. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Compensation: Commensurate with achievement, experience, and salary history. EFE offers full health and vacation benefits.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, salary history. Please put “Program Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org