The post is located in the 'Strengthening National Adaptation Planning capacities for Food Security and Nutrition' (SAGA) project, under the Mitigation of Climate Change in Agriculture (MICCA) programme. Funded by the Ministry of International Relations and la Francophonie (MRIF) of the provincial Government of Quebec, the SAGA project builds on a partnership model, including six international cooperation organizations, two universities and a research consortium on climate change, to support two francophone partner countries (Senegal and Haiti) in strengthening their adaptation planning capacities at local, national and international levels.
The Natural Resources Officer reports to the Senior Natural Resources Officer, coordinating the SAGA project and the MICCA programme.
Capacity strengthening on climate change adaptation in the agriculture sectors as contribution to promoting sustainable food systems in the context of implementing the Paris Agreement and the 2030 Agenda; multistakeholder collaboration and partnership building to enhance adaptation action at national level, as well as international climate change engagement in the context of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) process.
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and project/meeting services to support programme projects, products and services.
- Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
- Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
- Updates databases and web pages;
- Participates in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
- Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
- Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
- Contributes to the technical integration of the policy, field/development, research and international dialogue components of the project;
- Supports the successful implementation of the multistakeholder model of the project, providing support to the national coordinators in Haiti and Senegal, as well as to the focal points of the nine implementation partners;
- Participates in, national and international meetings, workshops and events and in the discussions with the Government of Quebec, and supports the Project Steering Committee as well as national and international partners, bodies and partnerships on the topics and approaches related to climate change adaptation and mitigation in the agricultural sectors;
- Supports country offices in Senegal and Haiti in providing technical and policy guidance to the Ministries of Agriculture and the Ministries of Environment on National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) preparation, implementation and reporting in the agriculture sectors;
- Supports national and international multistakeholder consultations, trainings, and capacity development activities related to climate change adaptation planning and implementation for food security and nutrition as required;
- Conducts analyses and drafts documents to support NAPs and NDCs implementation, within the larger framework of achieving the SDGs (including policy briefs, technical reports, capacity development materials);
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in development studies, natural resources, social sciences, agriculture or a related field;
- Three years of relevant experience in international cooperation in the field of natural resources management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, and sustainable food systems;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in multistakeholder project formulation and implementation, related to environment and natural resources management in developing countries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in capacity strengthening in the field of natural resource management, climate change adaptation and mitigation for food security and nutrition and sustainable development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and facilitating local, national and international meetings and workshops;
- Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data on climate change adaptation and mitigation for food security and nutrition.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org