Burness, rated by Washingtonian Magazine and the Washington Post as one of the best places to work in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area, is seeking a communications coordinator to join its global practice, supporting the Latin America and environment teams’ work on Indigenous Peoples’ rights, deforestation and other environmental issues. We are looking for a creative, detail-oriented person who is passionate about communications and global development.
Burness is a public relations firm serving nonprofit organizations around the world. Since 1986, we have sought to empower people with information that can be used to improve the human condition and advance social change. We do so recognizing that caring for others starts with modeling our own caring environment—one where all employees are valued and respected for their particular talents and contributions, welcomed into the process of company decision-making, and supported in their personal and professional dreams.
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies:
- BA/BS (Communications, International Relations or International Development preferred)
- One to two years of work experience, or master’s degree in relevant field required
- Native fluency in Spanish required
- Mastery of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PPT, are necessary; experience with Outlook a plus)
- Experience working in social justice or environment issues
- Experience in journalism and media through coursework, internships or job experience
- International travel or living experience is a plus
- Digital and social media experience required
Personal attributes and competencies:
- Self-motivated and thrives in a team environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Possesses desire to learn and excel in a high performance, fast-paced environment
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines in multiple time zones
- Exhibit an interest in entering public relations field
- Adept at conducting research and synthesizing information
- Landscape tracking to see how an issue or organization is covered, in addition to fast-acting research on news stories, journalists and issues in the news related to the environment and Indigenous Peoples
- Daily production of accurate notes from meetings under deadline
- Writing short-form documents, including emails directed to journalists, and proposals
- Finding the right journalists to cover our stories through solid media list research using phone calls, web searches, media databases and social media
- Supporting team members in planning events and field visits
- Media monitoring to track coverage and social media pick-up of client work and writing and compiling reports on impact of press outreach efforts
- Contacting journalists for media promotions through email, phone and twitter
- Supporting team members in researching and fact-checking media outreach materials
- Build trust with communications partners, liaising with a trusted network of grassroots organization in person and via email, text and WhatsApp conversations
- Coordinating and conducting electronic distributions of press releases, media advisories and other written materials
- Write, edit and/or create various types of digital content that is on-brand, optimized for each platform and creative enough to stand out in constantly-moving feeds and overcrowded inboxes. You should also be able to translate research, data or policy actions into digital and social content that compels target audiences to act and engage.
- Providing administrative support to the team as necessary. This includes scheduling meetings, researching travel, updating media data bases and processing travel expenses.
In the forestry-environment arena, we’ve helped to elevate the issue of deforestation and stopping deforestation as a key solution to climate change through the release of dozens of reports, organizing events at the major climate change meetings, and op-eds.
Burness offers excellent benefits, four weeks paid vacation, including tuition assistance for professional development and a friendly, collegial working environment. Send resumes and a cover letter (one-page each max) ASAP
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org