The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) is in search of a creative, analytical, and self-motivated Director of Content & Strategic Communications and Managing Editor & Publisher, of its trajectory Magazine to help drive the mission of the Foundation. This position manages the day-to-day writing, editing, and production of USGIF’s trajectory media program, to include a quarterly print magazine, website, monthly e-newsletter, and social media engagement. The director ensures all media reflects Foundation branding and issues of relevance to the intelligence and greater geospatial communities.
The Director of Content & Strategic Communications will:
- Leverage trajectory to share USGIF news and initiatives, position the Foundation as a thought leader, and educate the community.
- Manage trajectory editorial calendar, production schedule, and media kit.
- Write in-depth trajectory features as well as blog posts and web exclusives.
- Devise trajectory article abstracts, manage freelance writers, and provide both big picture and thorough line edits of all manuscripts.
- Coordinate trajectory manuscript and proof review among USGIF stakeholders.
- Oversee trajectory Editorial Intern program.
- Serve as USGIF’s liaison to its custom publishing firm and collaborate with art director, photographers, web developers, and printer to produce the most visually appealing and user-friendly products possible.
- Plan each trajectory print article to include compelling multimedia elements such as videos, slideshows, podcasts, web exclusives, etc.
- Build rapport with communications professionals at U.S. intelligence agencies and USGIF member organizations to facilitate interviews.
- Maintain strong relationships with trajectory readers, sources, and guest writers.
- Recommend and execute decisions related to the trajectory budget, such as page count, print run, contractual agreements, future outlook, etc.
- Attend USGIF events to engage the community via social media, take photos, and write post-event recaps for the trajectory website.
- Manage the planning, production, and budget for the GEOINT Symposium Show Daily, the official daily publication of USGIF's GEOINT Symposium.
- Oversee Trajectory on Location video programming onsite at the GEOINT Symposium.
- Lead Foundation media relations and oversee writing and distribution of press releases.
- Lead strategic planning for big-picture communications strategies or any major external messaging published by the Foundation.
- Lead planning, editing, and production of USGIF’s annual State & Future of GEOINT Report in addition to one-time publications (e.g., a 2018 resiliency report funded by a DHS grant).
- Provide writing and/or editing for a wide range of Foundation communications, to include e-newsletters, e-blasts, brochures, flyers, the annual report, correspondence, presentations, and beyond.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ publications experience;
- Knowledge of geospatial industry and/or national security a plus;
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and demonstrated attention to detail;
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a highly functional team;
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities.
- Non-profit or trade association experience or interest a plus.
- Occasional lifting of materials (~25 lbs.);
- Attendance at local evening events approximately 1-2 times a month;
- Must be able to travel nationally occasionally, including one week a year for the GEOINT Symposium.
USGIF is the leader in bridging industry, government and academia to advance the geospatial intelligence tradecraft and is the only accrediting body in the geospatial intelligence field. We offer yearly scholarships of more than $125,000, work closely with numerous colleges and universities as well as K-12 schools, and organize professional training sessions and community gatherings. USGIF collaborates with major players in this space by organizing high-profile events such as the annual GEOINT Symposium and leads the industry in thought leadership via its trajectory magazine and State & Future of GEOINT Report.
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and/or history by Feb. 14 to [email protected], Subject: Director of Content & Strategic Communications. No phone calls please. No Recruiters.