The Fuller Project is a leading global nonprofit newsroom dedicated to groundbreaking reporting on women. We partner with national and international news outlets to publish journalism that elevates women’s contributions, confronts injustice, and spurs citizens to hold governments, corporations and other institutions accountable.
Since 2015, our award-winning team has published hundreds of articles — from our TIME Magazine cover story on waitresses in American cities earning $2.13 an hour, to our four-part feature in Marie Claire on forced virginity testing in the U.S., to our devastating investigation into child sexual exploitation in the Philippines in The Washington Post. In 2019, our reporting won the Military Reporters & Editors, One World Media and Amnesty International UK Media Awards.
The Deputy Director (DD) position is a mission-critical, senior role, focused on strategy, operations, institution building, and culture, while ensuring the CEO is equipped for success across her broad portfolio of responsibilities. More specifically, this individual will take on a wide range of responsibilities and assignments to help deliver on key short and long-term priorities of the CEO, embracing attributes of adaptability and flexibility as The Fuller Project’s needs shift over time.
The DD will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the Editor in Chief and will play a key role in helping to raise funds and awareness for The Fuller Project. The DD will drive operational and administrative functions to ensure The Fuller Project has the team in place to continue the organization’s success and impact. The DD will also support and manage the internal leadership, systems, and culture needed to provide staff with a true sense of belonging and new opportunities for their professional growth.
The DD will gain exposure to the landscape of top editors, donors, and partners working on women and journalism and will build highly transferable leadership and management skills across a range of functions.
The ideal candidate is an adaptable leader with strong interpersonal skills, an eye for the continuous improvement of teams, systems, and processes and have a record of success supporting a principal. They also operate with a strong equity and diversity lens, ensuring that all staff animate the organizational values of objectivity, integrity, civility and diversity and contribute to the inclusive culture of The Fuller Project.
The DD will partner with the CEO on essential internal leadership activities for The Fuller Project. These include:
- In collaboration with the CEO, develop and implement strategy for sustained growth and impact based on analysis of potential impact, opportunities, trends, and revenue streams
- Support the organization through key strategic reviews and periods of growth, ensuring clarity of mission, vision and strategy that drives towards the organization’s goals
Operations and Financial Management:
- Work closely with CEO on other management and leadership priorities, including talent management, administration, legal and other matters as they arise
- Maintain legal support for The Fuller Project that minimizes risk, and as needed to address issues as they arise
- Maintain policies and bylaws in collaboration with Board of Directors, lead on all contracts and agreements
Team Leadership and Culture:
- Support a culture of excellence and learning in which team members know what is expected, strive to meet their goals, have learning opportunities, have avenues to provide feedback, and have in-person opportunities to build a sense of team
- Ensure The Fuller Project lives its values and is inclusive and equitable in all interactions, contributing to a sense of teamwork and belonging
- Continually support and develop diversity of all forms within The Fuller Project
- Support the CEO in development and partnership building processes, including drafting of proposals and reports, management of all development systems and gifts, and leadership on fundraising campaigns
- For quarterly board of directors’ meetings, provide support and reporting and work with board members to support their individual engagement (whether events, strategy, etc.)
- Working with the CEO and Board of Directors, develop systems to advance prospecting of new fundraising contacts and support convenings
- Monitor key trends and development relevant to The Fuller Project, sharing key reports, articles, and sources with the CEO
- 5-7+ years of operational experience in a complex organization required; background in journalism, communications and/or development strongly preferred
- Exceptional analytic, organizational, research, and written and oral communications skills
- Highly organized with proven success managing complex projects across dispersed teams and proven ability to lead and implement strategic planning initiatives
- Attention to detail is critical for this position
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, including experience partnering with a principal
- Experience managing diverse and highly skilled teams with capacity to give and receive feedback graciously
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment both independently and as part of a team; flexible and able to multi-task
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, creative problem solver, high degree of professionalism, and a “can do” attitude
- Highly self-directed and capable of independently managing time and the tasks associated with a fast-paced organization
- Passionate for and demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of The Fuller Project
- Ability to work productively in a non-partisan environment, guided by journalism ethics
- Experience working with diverse communities across race, class, ethnic, political and geographic boundaries
- Willingness to travel as needed
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of all forms in our newsroom. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. U.S. work authorization required.
The Deputy Director will work from the headquarters office in Washington, DC and will work closely with the entire team. This position includes competitive benefits as well as vacation and flex-time benefits.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org