Advocacy Officer. Berlin. Posting Date: 04/09/2020. Deadline: 05/09/2020
Do you want to make the world a better place with your human rights advocacy expertise? The Open Society Foundations' Human Rights Initiative seeks an Advocacy Officer to help develop advocacy priorities, coordinate with a select number of partners, and work in coalitions across issues and geographies to integrate advocacy with programmatic work. The position can be based in New York, Washington DC, or Berlin.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Human Rights Initiative (HRI) works across issues and geographies to promote a comprehensive vision of human rights that recognizes that a diverse and powerful human rights movement is critical to the ongoing struggle of all people to realize our rights. We are seeking an Advocacy Officer to help develop and implement an advocacy strategy for the HRI. They will work closely with a range of colleagues, both within HRI and OSF.
As HRI's Advocacy Officer, you will:
- Contribute to HRI strategy by identifying linkages to OSF-wide priorities, ensuring maximum collaboration and helping develop common advocacy approaches and priorities;
- Serve as programmatic focal point on advocacy efforts with focus on a bottom-up advocacy structure, working with program staff and managers to identify advocacy activities, priorities, and opportunities;
- Connect to higher-level management and network collaborations as well as OSF leadership advocacy demands and activities;
- Build greater solidarity and partnerships through joint advocacy with a select number of grantees, and cultivate unlikely allies, new alliances, and common cause in advocacy across geographies and issues;
- Develop HRI staff advocacy capacity and support integration of advocacy into grant making;
- Work with communications and other advocacy staff to develop, help draft and place high-profile media publications and appearances with grantees, partners, and coalitions on advocacy priorities.
What are we looking for:
- Seven to ten years of relevant experience;
- Experience developing advocacy efforts connected to broader public campaigning and constituency mobilization, within a campaigning framework, in addition to experience doing high-level advocacy;
- Capacity to conceptualize advocacy in inter-cultural, local contexts beyond the "usual places" where advocacy has traditionally been conducted;
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and adapt to shifting priorities;
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perksdesigned for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more .
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the like of an Open Society colleague is like .
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org