The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable town and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This position is located in the Office of the Executive Director UN-Habitat in Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Principal Special Advisor to the Executive Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of critical areas of concern related to human settlements issues and programmes, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources, participating in the analysis of national experiences in human settlements planning and policy development, etc.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Develops and maintains reference/resource information on specific topics, policy-related issues, recent developments and trends in the field, etc.; liaises with NGOs, researchers, etc. to obtain and provide data and information; responds to various inquiries and information requests internally and externally.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to expert group meetings, panel discussions, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, researching and proposing experts, handling logistics, etc.
- Analyzes progress and developments in the implementation of specific programmes; contributes to the development of mechanisms for monitoring programme implementation.
- Undertakes outreach activity in assigned areas, providing presentations and other inputs (e.g. articles, publications), and attending professional and NGO meetings.
- Maintains awareness of current human settlements matters and related issues, to include relevant political, policy, gender issues/considerations or other developments in specific sector, country or region concerned.
- Provides support to intergovernmental processes dealing with human settlements development issues by: preparing inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies; following intergovernmental meetings and preparing summary reports and similar material; preparing inputs to statements by members of the Bureau and Secretariat staff to such meetings; assisting in the organization of panels, round tables, etc. on human settlements development issues for intergovernmental processes.
- Compiles and analyses data and other information necessary for the preparation of technical cooperation project proposals in the area of human settlements.
- Prepares documentation for technical cooperation programmes and projects.
- Contributes to the preparation of material for the approval of regional, country or sectoral technical cooperation projects.
- Monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of technical cooperation programmes and projects.
- Participates in fact-finding and advisory missions to government and other activities in support of work programme.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work at the Office of the Executive Director.
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to analyse a diverse range of complex and unusual issues and problems and in developing innovative and creative solutions. Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct comprehensive research on a wide array of issues, including those of a unique and/or complex nature; proficiency in writing and the ability to prepare reports, opinion papers, and a variety of other instruments and related documents. Discretion and sound judgment in applying expertise to often sensitive and/or confidential issues. Strong negotiating skills and ability to reach agreement amongst divergent views. Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/cases. Knowledge of international relations and of UN system, organization and interrelationships. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions ay not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in urban affairs, sociology, economics, other social science or related field.is required. A first level university degree combined with an additional two
- (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in socio economic development, policy analysis, sociological research or related area is required.
- Previous administrative experience and knowledge of urban issues are desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org