Oxfam America established the Private Sector Department (PSD) to channel the influence of the private sector to pro-poor ends. As a rare global development organization with private sector capacity, Oxfam is a leader in corporate campaigning, innovative collaborations, and pro-poor private sector development. The department also supports private sector engagement on the following Oxfam campaigns and advocacy priorities: humanitarian crises, inequality and economic justice, agricultural supply chains, gender justice, climate change, access to medicines, and aid effectiveness.
Internship Overview: PSD provides internship opportunities to give students the unique opportunity to gain real world experience by working at our Washington, D.C. or Boston offices. Interns are expected to work full-time.
The Intern will have the opportunity to:
- Work collaboratively in a fast paced, professional environment;
- Contribute to one or more domestic and/or international projects;
- Address economic, social and cultural rights both within the US and internationally;
- Develop skills in research & writing for a range of purposes and different audiences
The Intern will work closely with PSD staff to help meet goals. Intern assignments will vary, but the core duties include work related to corporate research of companies.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support Oxfam’s workstream on the linkage between business and economic inequality.
- Support the team’s work focused on the policies and practices of business in response to COVID-19
- Support the team’s Senior Researcher by contributing to research, policy analysis, and monitoring, learning, and evaluation (MEL)
- Conduct research on corporations or corporate sustainability topics as needed for the Private Sector Department
Broader team support
- Support team members on the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of PSD’s work, as directed
- Participate in work-related activities (i.e., meetings, webinars, workshops, conferences, brown-bags), take notes and prepare summaries for staff
The intern will become staff for the duration of the internship. The intern will be expected to work remotely 20-30 hours per week, during normal business hours between 9am and 5pm (excepting holidays), and to apply the same standards of work and professional attitudes as we expect from a regular beginning OA employee. The duration of the internship is from August 15 – Dec 15, 2020 (with some flexibility on dates).
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS:
- Candidate for a graduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Business or related fields.
- Must be receiving school credit or a stipend/funding for the duration of the internship. Candidates not receiving school credit or funding will not be considered.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Excellent research skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills; ability to prioritize workload and multi-task.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
- Very good oral and written communications skills.
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Team Player; eager to take on challenges and work as part of a team.
- Prior experience working in a non-profit
- Knowledge of the field of international development, humanitarian and human rights
- Knowledge about agricultural supply chains
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org