You are an experienced media and press professional, but you are looking for change. You want to work in service of advocating for veterans, their families, and communities of veterans who fought and sacrificed for our freedom and prosperity. If this resonates with you-keep reading.
Your colleagues and media contacts would describe you as proactive and strategic. You are self-starter who enjoys securing media placements across multi-media and can point to past successes. You are eager to build new media relationships and willing and able to turn any interaction with a reporter into a meaningful connection.
As the Press Secretary for Concerned Veterans for America (CVA), you'll work on CVA's efforts both in Washington, D.C. and in its 15 state chapters. In order to be successful, you will need to think outside the box and lean into your natural storytelling ability to identify the compelling hook for a wide array of issues and initiatives.
Join us and help contribute to improving the lives of our nation's veterans, defending vital reforms at the VA, advancing a better American foreign policy, and securing America's financial future.
Your Responsibilities Include
- Develop proactive and creative press and media strategies to promote and advance the CVA brand
- Execute comprehensive communications plans and ensure communications efforts are prioritized and aligned with brand strategies
- Manage day-to-day media relations, pitching, and drafting content (press releases, advisories, and other relevant materials)
- Identify media coverage opportunities and deliver placements for appropriate principals (print, radio, and/or broadcast coverage)
- Work with other communications capabilities to develop effective, on-brand, targeted messaging for state and national efforts
- Develop and maintain relations with press and media contacts while also helping to foster relationships between state staff and press/media contacts
- Respond to media requests, reporter inquiries
- Draft and distribute talking points and media training/guidance to CVA HQ and state staff as needed to ensure quality coverage and maximum situational awareness
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for CVA when necessary
- Curate and maintain targeted media lists
- Drive CVA state engagement with internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively monitor news and issue developments to identify media coverage opportunities
- 5+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated track record successfully executing communications, strategic media relations or public relations strategies
- Self-starter attitude securing media placements across multiple media and can point to past success at doing so
- Must be a strategic thinker with experience conceiving and leveraging relationships
- Demonstrated strength in building, managing, and motivating high-performance teams
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with a diverse range of partners
- Excellent communication skills and the proven ability to influence at multiple levels of the organization
- Proven ability to think ahead, problem solve, engage proactively and take initiative
- Strong process-minded planner who can determine deadlines, logistics and operational plans for multi-dimensional programs and events
- Ability to shape and harness qualitative and quantitative research to drive good economic decision-making
- Strong analytical skill set, capable of analyzing and reacting to results-oriented data
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing, and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org