The American Independent is seeking an experienced political reporter to join our growing team to focus on original and enterprise reporting. Ideal candidates will have at least three years of experience writing for online publications in a fast-paced news environment, exceptional news judgment, a solid understanding of national politics, and the ability to write compelling and accurate stories through a progressive lens.
- Pitch fresh angles on big reported news of the day, as well as longer enterprise stories that rely on original reporting.
- Be able to quickly and cleanly write breaking news stories when needed.
- Track news developments in real time and share with the editorial team as needed.
- Cultivate a wide network of sources within American politics and progressive issue advocacy.
- Collaborate with other team members as needed.
- Exceptional writing skills. Your writing must be clean and compelling. Fluency in AP style is a major plus.
- Excellent understanding of national politics, especially Congress and federal agencies.
- Politically savvy, aware, and engaged, with an insatiable appetite for news.
- Excellent news judgment — you’re excited about digging up underreported stories our readers will want to know about, and a knack for framing widely covered stories in a unique way.
- Communicative, engaged, and eager to take initiative at every stage of the process.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to adjust priorities and/or story focus quickly as the news shifts.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and obsessed with executing, even in the face of obstacles.
- Ability to work well with others in a virtual workspace.
Qualified candidates will be asked to complete a timed writing test.
Starting salary of $70k plus benefits, commensurate with experience. DC-based reporters are strongly preferred.
To apply, send a resume, a cover letter explaining why you are the right fit for this position, and links to three writing samples.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org