Work may be performed anywhere in Kenya
Purposeful is an Africa-rooted global hub for girls’ activism. For millennia, girls have played a critical role in struggles for freedom and liberation. From Africa’s anti-colonial movements to the Arab spring to climate justice organising and everything in between, their resistance has always sparked and sustained transformational change. And yet, too often girls are separated and side-lined from resources and shut out from decision-making spaces, their power deliberately obscured and hidden from view.
Centering the political power of young feminists across the world, we work so that girls and their allies have access to the resources, networks and platforms they need to power their activism and remake the world.
Our Ways of Being in the World - We believe that another world is not only possible, it is already being built right here and now, in the ways that girls are organising with each other, imagining with each other and pushing us all a little further towards liberation. To build the world that we imagine, a core set of values guide all that we do at Purposeful: Taking bold action; Many ways of knowing; Centering lived expertise; Deep embodiment; Cultivating radical imagination; Joy as resistance; Power in diversity; Rooted in sisterhood.
Our Power-Building Strategies - Our holistic, movement-centred approach works to support girls to live into, amplify and compound their political power. It understands girls’ power-building as holistic and political and in centering the political power of girl activists, we enter all of our work through a power-building lens: Redistributing power assets; Building collective power; Organising power holders; Transforming power structures.
Our vision - Girls are living in safety, dignity and freedom, and the world is transformed.
Our Mission - Girl activists and their allies have access to the resources, networks and platforms they need to power their activism and remake the world for themselves.
CONTEXT OF THIS ROLE:
To support the expansion of our work and team, we are looking for a dedicated and dynamic Global Senior Management Accountant to support financial planning and analysis across the Purposeful group. This role will work closely with the Head of Finance and Compliance to ensure the smooth running of the organisation, and oversee the Sierra Leone finance team. They will also work closely with the Director for Resourcing Resistance in supporting and embedding financial processes in the new Kenyan entity.
Financial Planning and Analysis
Working cross organisationally to support programmes teams, you will be responsible for creating a more structured financial planning environment and introducing monthly management accounts to programmes teams. Work will include:
- Acting as a final review point on costed workplans for the programme teams
- Supporting the Sierra Leone finance team in capturing any changes to ongoing forecasts, whilst maintaining budget envelopes
- Continuous analysis of the Sierra Leone and Kenyan budgets, providing guidance to staff on any likely over / underspends and replanning appropriately.
- Reporting up to the head of finance and compliance on monthly progress against budgets for the group
- Building budgeting capacity within the programmes and finance teams
- Implementing budgeting training across teams
- Create a culture of full cost recovery across Purposeful
- Design / modelling of tools to help build budgeting capacity
- Supporting the implementation of a new budgeting system, working with the Sierra Leone finance team to keep programmes teams engaged and using the system
Donor Finance Reporting
Working with the programmes team, including Finance Manager, and head of finance and compliance to support the accurate, timely reporting and forecasting to donors on their programmes. Work to include:
- Working closely with the programme teams to produce and maintain accurate monthly / quarterly forecasts to be submitted to donors on time as required
- Ensuring that only eligible costs are incurred or charged to the programme budgets;
- Responsible for accurate reporting to FCDO and other institutional donors on a monthly / quarterly basis as required
- Ensuring reports are fully reconciled to each accounting system used; and
- Supporting the programme Finance Managers in partner budgets and reporting, with a particular focus on disallowable / ineligible expenditure
- Supporting the preparation of budgets for new programmes as part of the application / proposal process
Financial Accounting and Administration
Working in our new Kenyan office, completing local filing requirements and day to day tasks including (but not limited to):
- Processing payments
- Making grant payments, logging all grantees in our Salesforce CRM system
- Ensuring the accounting system is kept up to date
- Organising and managing the annual audit, including Kenya component accounts preparation and preparing the audit deliverables list, in line with group audit timelines.
- Supporting the filing of external accounts and any other legal requirements in Kenya
- Recording, management and control of accounts receivable and payable functions
- Monthly cash flow management in Kenya
- Payroll submission and oversight
- Undertaking supplier due diligence to prevent fraudulent payments or procurement
- Provide ad hoc duties to the Head of Finance and Compliance as required
Leadership and Organisational Development
As a Global Senior Manager, you will have remote matrix management of the Senior Finance Manager based in Sierra Leone, requiring the following tasks:
- Provide organisational financial leadership, support, coordination and communication across the Purposeful group
- Work with the Senior Managers to develop a culture of inclusiveness, innovation and inspire open lines of communication
- Facilitate cohesion and ongoing collaborative working between programmes and finance teams
- Work with the senior management team to achieve Purposeful’s objectives and development goals, consistent with the organisations strategic plan and annual budgets
- Work with the finance team on budget projections and management to ensure financial sustainability that is aligned with the aims and objectives of the organisation
- ACA / ACCA / CIMA qualified accountant
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of programme, project and cost centre reporting
- Experience of working with multiple institutional donors, such as FCDO, Irish Aid
- Experience of working in a start up environment where a hands-on attitude is required
- Experience of building and leading diverse and dynamic teams, including an ability to motivate individuals and foster team spirit
- Proven track record of managing and developing the budgeting and planning capacity of partner organisations
- Familiarity with cloud based accounting packages such as Quickbooks Cloud and Xero
- Experience with and understanding of adolescent girl-centered programming, community-based organisations, and social change
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work in a small and remote team, building virtual relationship across Purposeful
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Professionalism, empathy, and the ability to work independently but also as part of a team
- Demonstrable emotional intelligence, resilience, and an ability to encourage collaborative and transparent working relationships
- Belief in and support of our feminist values
- Commitment to Purposeful’s mission and values.
If you would like to apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter. Thank you.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org