A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR is seeking a dynamic and enterprising Correspondent to report on Russia, the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. This role will help NPR’s audience understand Russia, its relations with the United States, and its global activities. You’ll gather information and reporting for news programs, digital platforms and podcasts, cover breaking news, and unearth unexplored threads. This role will have the ability to take true ownership of our coverage of Russia and the surrounding regions by developing stories illustrating trends and significant political, economic, social, and cultural issues.
Develops ideas/proposals for reports and programs.
- Conceives, proposes, plans, and researches ideas for stories and program segments for all NPR news platforms: on-air, online, and social media.
- Contributes original reporting and writing online, with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor reporting and news to online audiences.
- Develops news sources and keeps associated files.
- Participates in departmental planning coverage.
- Communicates regularly with international desk editors about news developments and story ideas.
Gathers information and material for reports and programs.
- Covers stories as assigned by international desk editors. Will involve frequent travel in Russia and the broader region, at times, under difficult conditions.
- Gathers material on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences, direct coverage of events. Advises editors of technical support required when and where necessary.
Prepares and presents reports and program segments.
- In consultation with editors, organizes, edits, and produces reports and programs segments, including introductory and continuity material.
- Provides accurate information to editors for spotting reports in programs, for making payments, for keeping program records.
- Writes and reads news summaries and hosts/anchors program/live coverage, under supervision of a producer, when so assigned.
- Fulfills administrative obligations arising from assignments, such as filing prompt and accurate expense records and program information/summaries; maintaining contact with editors and appropriate producers; keeping editors and appropriate producers informed about assignments.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares and presents special reports, series, documentaries, and program segments examining important subjects in depth.
- Takes responsibility for developing a comprehensive area beat in Russia and the surrounding regions, as assigned.
- Under the supervision of a producer or assigned editor, anchors or assists in presenting live coverage of hearings, major news conferences, and other broadcasting or news events.
- Does original, investigative reporting, including the generation of ideas, and concepts and the development of plans for such reporting.
- Must make regular and frequent trips through the region, as news dictates, to other nations and beyond that produce a variety of major stories, features, and program segments for various NPR programs.
- Develops and makes use of extensive, proven broadcast production skills in the preparation of program materials and segments.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE/REQUIRED SKILLS
- Correspondent: Minimum of 6 years broadcast experience, including international reporting and radio production. Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, producing full radio pieces, use of microphones, recorders, computers and telecommunication transmissions via phone ISDN lines, satellite phones and/or Internet. Must have experience in execution of sophisticated broadcast and online journalism, such as long-form features and documentaries. Proven understanding of complex foreign policy issues, especially those involving Russia, the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. In-depth knowledge of regional history, politics, and economics.
- Experience working overseas, especially in Russia, strongly preferred. Experience in living and/or working in difficult international situations is highly valuable.
- Fluency in Russian is strongly preferred.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org