The nation’s largest public radio station is looking for a creative, ambitious reporter to cover one of the biggest issues in the New York City region: the cycle of economic instability, poverty and homelessness.
This reporter will produce originally-sourced, well-researched, timely and compelling stories about individuals, families and children in the New York and New Jersey region who struggle to find stable housing, food, and other necessities. Coverage will touch on the various societal indicators of stability like income, education, family wealth and race, as well as the historical, political, economical and societal forces that influence poverty and wealth status in America. This reporter will use data and public documents as a foundation for building story lines and themes, and to test traditional cultural and political narratives and beliefs around poverty and wealth.
Reporting will be solutions- and audience-focused, and will include stories produced in audio and text formats. This reporter is both a watchdog and public servant, holding accountable elected officials, activists, nonprofits and public institutions while also giving residents access to vital information to access services.
This is a critical beat for a growing nonprofit newsroom that covers the New York City region on behalf of the people who live here. Expanding the public’s understanding of the complex issues affecting economic inequality is key to solving an ongoing humanitarian crisis that affects tens of thousands of people in one of the country’s richest regions.
- Conceive, source and pitch stories original news stories in both text and audio form that are clear, thorough, fair, timely and accurate
- Balance a mix of daily deadline-driven news coverage while concurrently working on longer term enterprise and investigative stories
- Track state and federal-level legislation and data on poverty in the New York City region
- Monitor and report on useful scholarly research about people living with economic instability
- Monitor and report on the work of nonprofits that focus on communities in poverty and solutions to ending cycles of poverty and build sources among the region’s political delegations to enable coverage of local, state and federal policymaking on economic instability issues
- Develop sources that lead to scoops that our audiences can’t find elsewhere
- Produce balanced stories with politically unbiased language that eschew stereotypes and hold accountable both activists and policymakers
- Participate fully as a member of the Economics & Equity coverage team by contributing to coverage plans, meetings, brainstorming sessions, and newsroom projects
- Effectively coordinate with other editors and digital journalists for maximum reach across our platforms
- 5+ years covering a competitive beat for a daily news organization
- Familiarity with economic systems, homelessness policy, business and industry strongly preferred
- Demonstrated skill at conceiving and producing news stories free of liberal or conservative bias or that border on activism
- An extensive track record of landing scoops and exclusive stories
- Strong grammar skills and writing that is clear and free of errors
- Experience making public records requests and writing stories based on those requests
- Solid news judgment -- the ability to spot and develop a story that will engage audiences
- Superb communication and organizational skills, the ability to multitask, and experience covering breaking news
- A sophisticated understanding of how existing systems and institutional structures work for or against different types of people. Demonstrated knowledge of complex social and cultural issues
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to contribute an equity lens to every aspect of reporting
- Familiarity or a willingness to learn audio journalism
- Familiarity with basic data sorting and searching skills
- The ability to work effectively with the public, including those on social media, as well as colleagues at New York Public Radio
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org