Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Islamabad, within the Information Centres Service (ICS) of the Strategic Communications Division (SCD) of the Department of Global Communications (DGC).
The UNIC is part of the global network of United Nations Information Centres (UNICs), and UNIC Islamabad is the principal source of information about the United Nations system in Pakistan. It is responsible for promoting public understanding and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by communicating the work of the UN to a local audience in local languages; engaging local and regional partners; and, overall, bringing the United Nations closer to the peoples it serves. The UNIC Islamabad is integrated with the Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) in Pakistan since the operationalization of the United Nations development system reform on 1 January 2019.
He or she is under the general supervision of the Chief of ICS and reports directly to the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Pakistan.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Lead, supervise and carry out the work programme of the centre; undertake or oversee the programmatic and/or administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of a medium information centre, including preparation of budgets, reporting on budget/programme performance, recruitment of staff and evaluation of staff performance; manage, guide, develop and train staff under his or her supervision; foster teamwork and communication among staff in the information centre and across organizational boundaries;
- In line with the Global Communications Strategy for the United Nations, conceptualize, design and execute the programmes and activities in Pakistan; lead and supervise the development and implementation of high profile multimedia strategic communications campaigns as well as oversee digital and social media content and activities in multiple languages and in coordination with DGC UNHQ team as needed; develop a network of effective digital influencers and opportunities for cross promotion on issues of common interest; develop outreach to key target audiences, including youth; set quality and production standards for information dissemination; approve the preparation, from research to publication, of UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books; supervise the creation and maintenance of networks of high level communications contacts with members of the media, governmental agencies, international organizations, civil society, educational institutions, and members of the creative community in the work region; and lead and supervised the assessment of the overall effectiveness of the communications strategy and programmes;
- Provide substantive support to the Resident Coordinator on strategic communications issues and adapting and localizing global communications and advocacy priorities promoting the work of the United Nations;
- Provide substantive support to the Resident Coordinator and the UN Country Team (UNCT) in designing, implementing and monitoring the UN joint communications strategy, aligned to the UN Global Communications Strategy and based on the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF),a key instrument for planning and implementing UN development activities in the country, in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- May act as UN spokesperson in Pakistan upon coordination with the Resident Coordinator; liaise with national and international media on UN activities and programmes related to Pakistan as well as on global UN issues and campaigns; organize and chair press briefings and media stakeouts; issue press releases and media statements; assist the Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team members with their media engagements;
- Manage internal and external digital communications platforms such as the UNCT website, official UNCT social media accounts, intranet and on-line collaboration platforms in line with UN Secretariat governance mechanisms, including those related to information security. Plan and facilitate the development and implementation of a digital content strategy for UNCT websites and social media and contribute to the development of key UNCT communications and advocacy products;
- Provide diverse materials (briefings, speeches, questions and answers, etc.), technical and policy advice on highly complex public information and communications issues related to the operation of the centre to the Resident Coordinator and the Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications and other UN senior officials; provide UN Headquarters with media reports regarding highly complex conditions and public attitudes towards the UN in the work region; ensure that the policies and activities of the UN are conveyed accurately and promptly, within highly complex political, substantive and/or operational situations, to the national authorities;
- In close coordination with the Resident Coordinator, lead and supervise activities to promote and coordinate the communications aspect of visits by the Secretary-General, UN senior officials, and/or UN delegations to the work region;
- Ensure that the outputs produced by the centre maintain high-quality standards and comply with the UN and UNCT branding strategy, and that reports are clearly written, timely, objective and based on comprehensive data; report to intergovernmental bodies on programmatic and/or substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports; and present position papers and reports to intergovernmental bodies, as appropriate;
- Manage the promotion of joint communications activities between the RCO, DGC and UN System entities in Pakistan; conceptualize a strategy for strengthening the communications impact of the Organization in Pakistan as part of the United Nations Communications Group (UNCG); lead coordinated UN system communications support and provide strategic communications guidance and crisis communications support to the RCO, the UNCG and other UN System entities in Pakistan; serve as chair of the UNCG;
- Supervise the organization of meetings, seminars, etc. relating to the communications aspects of substantive issues in the work region; in matters related to communications, lead international, regional or national meetings, supervising programmatic and/or substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions; represent the information centre at international, regional or national meetings and at UN interagency meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive issues;
- Ensure appropriate tools and methods are in place and used to measure and evaluate impact with timely reports to UN Headquarters;
- Build and strengthen synergies with other DGC field offices, RCOs and UNCTs in the region/sub-region and with UNICs working in the same language;
- Perform other duties and special functions, as required by UN Headquarters and the RC.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated knowledge of strategic communications and public information techniques, including audience-focused strategic communications and crisis communications; proven ability to implement effective media campaigns and to develop traditional and digital media products and activities targeting the media; ability to identify communications opportunities and problems and to articulate these to clients. Ability to advise on communication challenges, assess communication environments, develop communication strategies, and manage implementation of public information campaigns in the work region with various promotional and publicity techniques. Ability to make decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization and to apply rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing;
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in journalism, communication, public information, international relations or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience, including four years at the international level, in public information, communications, journalism, international relations or related area is required;
- Experience in implementing strategic, multimedia communications campaigns, public speaking, and working in and/or with traditional and digital media is required;
- Experience in resource administration, including budget preparation, human resources management and/or conflict management and resource mobilization is required;
- Experience supervising an office, unit or section (of at least 5 people) within the United Nations common system or a comparable international organization is desirable;
- Experience with the political, social, and economic context of Pakistan and the sub-region of responsibility is desirable;
- Experience working in communications, including crisis communications, in the United Nations common system or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Urdu is desirable. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org