Located within the Programs Department at SAMS Headquarters and working closely with Country Offices, the Senior Program Officer: 1) provides technical assistance to aid the conceptualization and development of programs and business development strategies related to research,medical education and other technical training or professional development initiatives, and direct service provision; 2) participates in the development and review of organizational standards and tools related to health; and 3) provides support for remote management of medical education and research programs in Syria and countries were SAMS is active or wishes to establish a presence. As needed, the Senior Program Officer travels to Country Offices to support program planning and implementation, conduct monitoring visits, and develop and maintain relationships with donors and partners.
· Enhance quality of SAMS’ health interventions across countries of operation and ensure continuous alignment with relevant technical standards and healthcare needs, through creation of tools, methods, and platforms for information sharing, assessment, monitoring, and capacity-building among technical staff
· Lead coordination of SAMS’ virtual healthcare professional development initiatives, working closely with SAMS’ committees, external consultants, subject matter experts and regional teams of coordinators
· Support development and implement activities related to health research, either as a Co-Principal Investigator, or research team member
· Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of medical education and training programs for medical residents, allied health professionals, and instructors in Syria and neighboring countries
· Lead development of concept notes and proposals for programs related to research, medical education and other technical training or professional development initiatives, in coordination, working closely with colleagues in Country Offices and HQ Programs
· Support technical review of proposals for direct service provision, with a focus on quality of intervention and compliance with relevant organizational, national and international technical standards related to health
· Participate in review and development of annual Business Development and Operational Plans
· Support Country Offices in positioning with potential donors/partners
· Coordinate development of needs assessment and evaluation tools, together with technical leads at the HQ and Country Office levels
· Represent SAMS at meetings with existing and potential donors and coordinate follow-up actions within SAMS to build and maintain these relationship
· Participate in after-action reviews after proposals are submitted, to improve efficiency of internal processes and quality of proposal submissions
· Support program implementation and reporting of programs provision of technical assistance, in coordination with Programs and Operations colleagues in Country Offices and Headquarters,
ensuring that Country Offices have all of the necessary knowledge and tools required to manage programs, in compliance with donor regulations
· Monitor project progress through monthly and quarterly review of internal project management tools – indicator tracking tables, M&E reporting, work plans, compliance trackers, etc.
· Liaise with existing donors of grant-funded programs, with a focus on academically and research inclined donors, providing them regular updates on project progress
· Coordinate review and submission of donor narrative, financial and inventory reports,
· Support Country Offices in management and monitoring of partners (grantees and sub-grantees), including technical review of reports and participation in progress review meetings, as well as support for delivery of capacity-building for partners.
· Participate in review of incoming and outgoing grant agreements, partner agreements, modifications, MOUs, and pre-award letters, as needed
· Promote compliance with donor regulations, SAMS policies and procedures, and risk mitigation mechanisms related to grant management, safeguarding, HR, finance, security and procurement
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Masters or Degree in health-related field (MD, NP, MPH or similar) or Healthcare Education or Professional Development Management degree.
· At least five years of relevant work experience that included decision making to improve methods and strategy - preferably with international NGOs and/or higher education institutions.
· In-depth knowledge of relevant regional and global technical standards related to healthcare delivery and/or medical education
· Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research methods, both in theory and application
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including drafting project proposals and reports
· Ability to review and monitor budgets (as part of proposals or program management tools), and financial reporting
· Familiarity with regulations of major donor agencies such as USAID, U.S. Department of State, EU, FCDO preferred.
· Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow staff members, visitors, partner institutions including international and local NGOs, governmental entities, support organizations, and the general public
· A multi-tasker with strong ability to work under pressure
· Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work
· Ability to perform in cross-functional team approach
· Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and produce quality results on time with attention to detail.
· Proficient in using computers with related knowledge of software programs and Internet.
· Knowledge of the Arabic language and/or the Middle East region is desired but not required.
· Prior experience with health, mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), gender-based violence, and/or medical education programs is desired, but not required.
Note, strong preference will be given to US-based applicants with existing authorization to
work in the United States. If candidates do not meet this requirement and still wish to be considered, please state this in the application cover letter.
Tasks associated with this position can and will be done remotely for the foreseeable future, for candidates that are not based in Washington, D.C. – the location of SAMS Headquarters.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org