The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) represents the world’s working people through 332 member organisations in 163 countries. We are the largest democratically elected movement in the world.
High-quality editing and proofreading of English-language reports and other texts, and where necessary, provision of organisational support in the ITUC Campaigns and Communications (CamCom) Department.
- Editing, revision and proofreading of reports, documents and shorter texts drafted by English native- and non-native speakers, to a high standard;
- Liaison with authors, CamCom team members and external authors and translators;
- Ensuring that written texts comply with ITUC style guide and best-practice British-English style manuals;
- Developing a sound understanding of ITUC policies and objectives in order to help ensure that texts are accurate and relevant;
- Identifying issues concerning content and resolving these in cooperation with CamCom and other ITUC colleagues;
- Assisting with the work-flow management for publications with internal and external designers and translators;
- Ensuring consistency across publications and other texts;
- Liaising with internal and external layout and graphic design services;
- Highlighting potential legal or other sensitive issues in content;
- Devising strong headlines and display copy, when required;
- Elegantly cutting copy to fit layouts, when required;
- Providing organisational support within the CamCom Department when required;
- Undertaking such other tasks related to the job which may need performing.
- Proficiency in MS Word, SharePoint and other Office 365 applications;
- English to mother-tongue standard, including grammar, spelling and idiomatic expression;
- Good knowledge of French and/or Spanish a distinct advantage, other languages are an asset;
- Thorough grasp of English grammar, spelling and idiomatic expression;
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to tailor texts to specific audiences (specialist, media, public);
- Ability to assess the contents of drafts against ITUC policies and programmes;
- Sympathy with trade union objectives and values;
- Capacity to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in cooperation with others within the Department and with other Departments;
- Good organisational and administrative skills, with the capacity to deliver according to deadlines;
- Availability to undertake international travel if required;
- Experience of copyediting/proofreading in a publishing environment is strongly preferred;
- Organised, efficient and flexible copy-editing across different mediums and tones;
- Ability to make thoughtful copy cuts.
We offer an attractive salary and benefits package.
Once appointed, the postholder must live within daily commuting distance from the Brussels’ office.
The ITUC is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage appropriately qualified candidates, especially women, candidates from developing countries and minorities to apply.
CV and cover letter should be sent in English to HR by clicking below
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org