Asia Society Texas believes in the strength and beauty of diverse perspectives and people. As an educational institution, we advance cultural exchange by celebrating the vibrant diversity of Asia, inspiring empathy, and fostering a better understanding of our interconnected world. Spanning the fields of arts, business, culture, education, and policy, our programming is rooted in the educational and cultural development of our community — trusting in the power of art, dialogue, and ideas to combat bias and build a more inclusive society.
Asia Society Texas seeks a Business and Policy Programs Manager who will work closely with the Director of Business and Policy to conceptualize single programs, year-long series, multiple year long-term series, and strategic partnerships with established local and national institutions, community groups, and local grassroots organizations. They will be responsible for program logistics leading up to the events and for executing tasks during the programs themselves. The successful candidate will have a proven record of working with ethnically diverse groups and handling matters which may be diplomatically sensitive.
Business and Policy Programs
• Working in tandem with the Director of Business and Policy, arrange financial and cost/revenue-sharing
agreements via memorandums of understanding with program partners.
• Assist team with proper protocol for VIPs, dignitaries, and visiting diplomats, including coordinating logistics for
visits by academics, policy experts, business leaders, and high-level government officials.
• Envision department programming framework to ensure balanced programming across content, formats, themes,
and geographic focus.
• Handle program preparation: general research leading up to event, creating program concepts and descriptions,
moderator questions, visual backdrops and printed programs, logistical details including volunteer coordination,
and agendas for internal and external use, and reception planning as needed.
• Research developments (both short-term and long-term trends) in Asian economic performance, business
development and investment, domestic and foreign policy, public diplomacy, relations between Asian countries
with the United States, and Asian American issues.
• Write post-program reports and synopses for local and global dissemination.
Young Leaders Institute (summer program for high school students)
• Determine content and dates, working closely with programming team and senior staff as needed.
• Effectively market the Institute to personal and professional contacts, in addition to efforts made by the
communications and audience engagement team, with goal of expanding access.
• Manage the Institute, including communicating with parents and students and arranging speaker visits, small onsite modules for student engagement, and off-site experiences.
• Develop and expand alumni engagement through email listserv, program invitations, and other opportunities
which can include a reunion dinner, panel participation, internships, blog highlights, or more.
• Manage summer interns as needed to assist with the planning and execution of the event.
• Report on lessons learned and analyze successes/challenges to prepare for next year.
• Work with team to create measurable outcomes.
• Communicate with colleagues to understand overall volunteer needs and recruit volunteers to ensure appropriate
coverage for all public programs.
• Communicate with prospective volunteers, schedule and conduct trainings, and ensure that volunteers are
properly trained before becoming a part of the volunteer corps.
• Manage expectations and behaviors, both for volunteers who are exemplary and those who need additional
• Plan a volunteer appreciation event, typically taking place each spring.
• Record annual volunteer hours in order to report for possible institutional grant applications.
• Send regular emails to volunteers outlining upcoming opportunities and scheduling them for the appropriate
• Bachelor’s degree in business, international affairs, political science, public policy, or related field (master’s degree is a plus).
• A minimum of five years of experience in business, diplomacy, economic development, government, policy, public
advocacy, trade, or a related field (experience working on international issues, especially on Asia, is a plus).
• Strong ability to interact with the public and high-level individuals and work collaboratively with diverse
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; high level of diplomacy and tact.
• Collaborative mindset.
• Proven organizational skills, with strong ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects, work independently,
demonstrate initiative, and perform under pressure.
• Knowledge of Asia and a willingness to learn quickly.
• Highly organized and accurate, with attention to detail.
• Exercises good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations.
• Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion, with a passion for the diverse work of Asia Society and a strong desire to make a difference.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining attention to detail and deadlines.
• Personal integrity and ethical standards.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled people to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, is occasionally required to stand and walk, and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Asia Society Texas does not provide compensation for interview travel or relocation expenses.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org