About the position
The GFDRR Brussels team is seeking a highly motivated Communications Consultant to support its communications and knowledge management efforts, as well as its policy and operational engagement with EU institutions. The incumbent would work flexibly across a number of Programs managed by the team in Brussels and deliver tasks to enhance effective communication and visibility.
The Communications Consultant must be a talented writer and editor, adept at distilling technical information into efficient, compelling text to be used in communications materials for internal and external audiences. The Communication Consultant must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines and changing priorities and be able to work with a diverse group of colleagues. S/he must also have good knowledge and understanding of the EU, its functioning and position as global development donor.
Description of duties and accountabilities
The incumbent would work directly and under the supervision of the GFDRR Brussels team. S/he will be expected to:
Communications, knowledge materials and website:
- Draft GFDRR “Results in Resilience” stories, brochures and blogs on activities implemented as part of Programs managed by the GFDRR Brussels team.
- Contribute to editing of Program progress reports.
- Draft and edit online and social media content for website publishing and contribute to the creation of other communications products such as videos.
- Coordinate the dissemination of communications materials, including by creating and managing content on the GFDRR website.
- Participate to Comms meetings with GFDRR HQ/World Bank Group teams to leverage visibility and gather intelligence.
- Liaise with EU communications counterparts on stories to share and coordinate output dissemination.
- Monitor and gather strategic information and news related to DRM/DRR and climate change from the EU, etc. as well as other development organizations.
- Gather information on EU’s country and regional development priorities.
- Monitor and keep the GFDRR Brussels team abreast about DRM/DRR and climate change events organized by international development organizations including the EU and the United Nations (notably: UNFCCC, UNDRR, UNDP and WMO.), in alignment with World Bank events (such as Spring Meetings, Annual Meetings, IDA Mid-Term Review meetings, etc.).
- Provide support to the GFDRR Brussels team to define a clear narrative of GFDRR’s work in collaboration with the EU institutions, linking with the World Bank/GFDRR strategy.
Events and Briefings:
- Support the organization of review meetings, missions from Bank colleagues to Brussels, workshops, and other events.
- Support the drafting of meeting materials, background notes as well as meeting minutes.
- Develop, design or edit PowerPoint presentations.
- Coordinate the communications and media coverage of events organized under the different Programs managed by the GFDRR Brussels team, as relevant.
- Master’s degree in communication, international relations, journalism, or a related discipline.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in communication.
- Familiarity with World Bank, disaster risk management, and climate change principles.
- Excellent understanding of the European Union and its functioning.
- Excellent oral, drafting and editing skills in English is essential, knowledge of other languages desirable (i.e. French).
- Writing/communications experience with the World Bank or other international development agencies a plus.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences, and develop materials in a clear, concise, and reader-friendly style.
- Comprehensive knowledge of web-based communications, including content strategy, social media, and blogs.
- Direct experience in event coordination, logistics and communications.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively within a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision to produce high-quality deliverables within tight deadlines.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org