The Programme Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of direct service delivery activities at m2m project site(s) including health facilities and community geolocations. The Programme Officer will directly manage site staff (Facility and Community Mentor Mothers) and ensure that direct service delivery activities meet established quality standards. S/he will serve as the programme liaison with local government, partners, health facility staff, community leaders, and other stakeholders for programme success.
This position will be based in Abuja, and report to the Programme Technical Manager.
- Provide supportive supervision, technical support, and mentorship to Facility and Community Mentor Mothers (site staff) on m2m programme standards;
- Based on identified quality gaps, initiate the development of relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs) and improvement plans for programme implementation;
- Plan and coordinate site staff recruitments;
- In consultation with site staff, plan and coordinate site-based programme activities in health facility and communities;
- Plan and coordinate donor, head office personnel, Ministry of Health, and other implementing partner site visits;
- Develop project workplans and report.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E):
- Collaborate and support M&E Officer to ensure data and reporting quality;
- Support the site-level use of m2m quality improvement and strategic management tools, both paper and electronic;
- Data entry of programme data generated monthly at the health facility level;
- Conduct data quality audits on a month-to-month basis in DHIS2 as per existing Standard Operating Procedures;
- Extract data from DHIS2 for report writing and programme performance reviews when required;
- Together with site staff, jointly and routinely review Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement (QA/QI) programme performance reports and institute remedial actions to address any QA/QI issues;
- Support routine programme evaluation activities as required;
- Conduct site-level routine supportive supervision, mentorship and monitoring activities on both programme and M&E functions with support from the M&E Officer;
- Contribute relevant information for compilation of project reports.
Training and Capacity Building:
- Conduct training needs assessments;
- Plan and coordinate pre-service and in-service trainings;
- Co-facilitate pre-service and in-service trainings;
- Provide ongoing mentorship to site staff on usage of mHealth applications.
Human Resource Management:
- Line management of site staff, including performance appraisals, approval and tracking of annual leaves, etc.;
- Live and promote m2m values including integrity, honesty, dedication, empathy, compassion and teamwork among m2m staff.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for programme related materials (M&E tools, site supplies, etc.);
- Ensure prudent use of m2m’s resources at project sites;
- Take minutes of programme related meetings;
- Monitor and report on any safety and security related incidents involving site staff.
Stakeholder Engagement and Representation:
- Develop and periodically update stakeholder matrix;
- Support CD and Programme Technical Manager to manage external relationships with stakeholders where required;
- On occasion, represent m2m Nigeria at facility, LGA, state and national level technical meetings and forums;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the line manager.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree or its equivalent clinical science, nursing, public health, public policy, social science, or related field or related field;
- Minimum of five years’ field experience in public health work with a focus on Reproductive Maternal Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH), HIV/AIDS programming, and/or primary health care (PHC);
- Strong technical knowledge of RMNCH/HIV/PHC;
- Experience with managing staff, especially community health workers. Experience in on-site technical supervision using programmatic tools;
- Experience in the implementation and management of M&E systems, involving capacity building for site-level staff, as well as monitoring and promotion of data quality and use of data for decision making and quality improvement;
- Experience in data management, including data entry and extraction of reports, and in writing programme reports;
- Demonstrated knowledge of/exposure to relevant policies and guidelines;
- Experience with mobile health (mHealth) applications strongly preferred;
- Experience working within state and local health systems in Nigeria, with lay health care workers and peer educators preferred. Experience working with government, donors, and non-governmental organisations at state and local level.
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor and coach team;
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet tight/competing deadlines independently with sound decision making;
- Self-motivated, analytical skills, team player and results oriented;
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and problem solve to meet deliverables;
- Ability to negotiate and navigate sensitive situations. Cultural sensitivity;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Ability to simplify and communicate technical issues for lay health cadres;
- Computer literate (MS Office suite);
- Fluent in English and local language of the area;
- Valid driver’s licence.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org