Strategically lead the Asia Programme at Chatham House, which covers political, economic and security developments across Asia. Provide a vision and direction for the programme ensuring quality deliver of research outputs and policy analysis, while sustaining its activities on a strong financial footing.
- Identify subjects and questions to be investigated through research by the Programme.
- Work collaboratively with staff and fellows within and associated with the Programme to design suitable projects.
- Raise the profile of the Programme through independent research, excellent publications, visits and presentations to governments, funders and other major research centres and international conferences.
- Take responsibility for the quality of Programme research outputs, maintaining our existing high standards and continuously strive for improvements.
- Ensure the effective and positive interaction between different strands and areas of research within the Programme. Work collaboratively to coordinate (where appropriate) with other Chatham House research programmes, projects and departments.
- Monitor the progress of research activity, encouraging timely delivery as well as provide guidance on the implementation of Asia Programme projects.
- Mentor and manage the team, encourage high quality performance and provide advice, guidance and support to programme staff where appropriate.
Generation of Funding
- Take the lead in identifying and generating funding to cover the Programme’s budget, supporting senior programme staff in their own funding activities and ensuring a diverse distribution of funders across the Programme’s range of activities.
- Oversee the preparation of funding applications, in consultation and collaboration with other Chatham House departments and centres.
- Maintain strong and long-lasting relationships with foundations, government funding departments, corporate sponsors and other major funding sources.
Programme Budget Accounts/Finance
- General oversight of the Programme’s finances.
- Responsible for ensuring Programme performance against budget.
- Raise the Programme’s profile through the development of strong networks with policy-makers, policy experts and the media.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for the appropriate communication and dissemination of project findings, through seminars, workshops, publications and the full range of on-line resources.
- To ensure appropriate publicity and visibility for the Programme’s activities through the web site and other media channels.
Supervision of Staff & Associate Fellows
- Leadership, management, motivation and development of a team of research and managerial staff.
- Oversee the contributions of Associate Fellows, Visiting Fellows and Consulting Fellows and Academy Fellows, ensuring they are fully integrated into the programme activities.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Extensive knowledge, interest and understanding of Asia.
- First degree and a Master’s degree in a relevant subject.
- Extensive experience of policy-relevant research within this field of study as well as proven experience of successfully managing the delivery of substantial research outputs.
- A sound strategic vision for the long term development of the programme and a desire to achieve recognisable goals that benefit the institution as a whole.
- A strong network of policy and funding contacts.
- Proven experience of being able to successfully manage teams of people as well as a deep understanding of how to guide, develop, motivate and get the best from staff.
- Experience of hiring experts in the field relevant to ongoing project initiatives.
- Experience of working in a related, policy-orientated governmental, inter-governmental or non-governmental organisation.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate flawlessly with external stakeholders at all levels as well as with senior colleagues within Chatham House.
- Exceptional communication skills both written and oral with the ability to present persuasively.
- Demonstrable ability to successfully raise funds for research and projects.
- Proven organizational skills with the ability to work logically and methodically.
- Demonstrable trouble-shooting and problem-solving ability.
- Resourcefulness and strategic thinking, and the ability to be responsive in a fast-paced environment as well as an ability to remain calm under pressure and deal successfully with significant volumes of work.
- A proactive, self-motivating approach to work, with a collegiate, collaborative and consistent attitude.
- Discretion in handling confidential information, with an understanding of the Data Protection Act.
- PhD in a related subject.
- Region specific expertise in China and/or Southeast Asia
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*