The World Food Programme, the world's leading humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, is offering life-changing communications job opportunities you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations. Working at WFP will give you the opportunity to work beyond your horizons, to be enriched by meaningful work and deepen your professional expertise.
At WFP, we are driven and defined by our mission to fight world hunger, save lives, feed people’s dreams of a brighter future and help enable people, communities and countries meet their own food and nutrition needs. WFP goes wherever it’s needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done. You will find our people at the heart of every major humanitarian intervention around the world, providing the essential life-saving requirements for those furthest behind. Each year, we reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries.
Delivering our mission requires deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team. While the 15,000 people working for WFP reflect the rich diversity of the world in which we work, the vital importance of our shared mission underpins a remarkably close community of purpose.
How you can help
* You will develop and coordinate the implementation of regional communication, advocacy and outreach strategies/plans/campaigns, including setting clear goals and objectives, defining key tasks, messaging, audience targeting and analysis
* You will help ensure that WFP’s branding and public messaging about its mandate and programmes is consistent across the region and reflects corporate communications and advocacy priorities, adapted appropriately to the regional context
* Your will help sustain and increase public awareness of hunger and malnutrition and WFP’s work in Southern Africa by promoting media coverage at national, regional and global levels, to a wide range of targeted audiences.
* You will assist the regional office in building capacity of country offices in the region and advise them on implementation of effective strategies for organizational visibility with the media, UN agencies, partners and the public and targeted advocacy
* You will act as a spokesperson for WFP, effectively addressing media enquiries and explaining information in a compelling way
* You will track and analyze print, broadcast and social media, to identify trends and/or issues, and propose solutions and ideas to improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities
* You will build and maintain partnerships through extensive networking and proactive collaboration with the media, advocacy groups, UN partners, NGOs and other critical partners to enhance cooperation and ensure coherence in communications activities and messages and help grow inter-agency collaboration and partnerships
* You will ensure timely and accurate communications and outreach to internal and external partners and other appropriate audiences
Undertake any other duties as may be assigned to you
Standard minimum qualifications required
* Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses
Experience and Competencies
* At least 8 years (of which 3 international) of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a proven track record as a communications specialist, journalist or spokesperson
* Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing communication, advocacy and outreach
* Well organized and detail oriented with strong judgement/decision-making skills
* Strong communication and negotiation skills
* Experience planning, gathering and producing tailored multimedia content
* Experience of managing small teams of staff with related areas of expertise
* Ability to understand what audiences need and how they want to consume it
* Ability to plan and organize work and communicate effectively
* Ability to handle a large volume of work and to meet strict deadlines
* Fluency in oral and written in English (level C) with an intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages)
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*