The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Coordinator to support its Special Events team. This is a part-time position with a 20 hour per week (50%) schedule and may require some travel and availability to work occasional night and weekend events. Additional hours beyond the 50% schedule may be required during busy event seasons. The position will initially be based in the San Francisco office, with the possibility of working from the Palo Alto office in the future, and reports to the Officer for Special Events based in New York. This is an incredible opportunity in a very successful fundraising department of a fast-paced global human rights organization that provides a unique environment to grow your career.
- Assist the Special Events Team in the planning and implementation of events, including, but not limited to, the Voices for Justice Annual Dinners held throughout the year around the world as well as the annual Council Summit;
- Support the logistical coordination of the Defender Tour, an international tour of human rights defenders honored during the Voices for Justice Annual Dinners;
- Provide ongoing logistical, technical, and administrative guidance and occasional onsite support for designated events;
- Act as the primary Special Events team liaison for departmental colleagues in designated cities;
- Assist in ensuring efficient project coordination and information sharing within the Special Events team;
- Organize and archive Special Events materials internally;
- Assist in the evaluation of designated events to identify best practices and lessons learned;
- Provide administrative support including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, recording departmental finances, and processing invoices;
- Prepare, format and distribute materials on behalf of the Special Events team;
- Assist with the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of interns based in the Bay Area offices as needed; and
- Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, international relations, social sciences, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of 2 -3 years of relevant event planning or other fundraising experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple global locations are required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are required; additional proficiency in German, French, or Arabic is a plus.
- The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities while working effectively toward deadlines is required.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including donors and external partners are required.
- Strong proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications, especially Excel, is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is highly desirable.
- Strong interest in international human rights is highly desirable.
- Experience living, working, or studying abroad or navigating other cultures is highly desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
During the events, the staff may be required to work in a fast-paced environment and/or some physically demanding situations, including walking and standing for prolonged periods of time, with minimal breaks.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $24,381 which has been prorated for a 50% schedule. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and ten (10) days of vacation per year.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*