The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
The Programme Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of the International IDEA sub-regional office located in Tunis, Tunisia. In this capacity, and under the authority of the Director, Africa and West Asia Region, the Programme Manager leads programme development, oversees sub-regional activity and budget implementation, participates in partnership development, ensures staff performance according to agreed strategic objectives and programme targets, undertakes representational duties as delegated, nurtures relations with IDEA member states, and ensures the fulfillment of all Institute obligations under the host country agreement with Tunisia. The Programme Manager also contributes to the development of the overall strategy and objectives of International IDEA in the Africa and West Asia Region, ensures cross-programmatic collaboration among different teams within the Region, and seeks opportunities for South-South collaboration. Additionally, the Programme Manager participates in AWA Regional management meetings, contributes to the reporting obligations of the Region to Headquarters and the member states, and invests in the visibility of International IDEA across North Africa and West Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the implementation of programme activities and the execution of the budget, for the Tunis office;
- Implements programmes and programme activities in the areas of political parties, electoral processes, political participation, constitution building, civic education, youth and gender;
- Identifies opportunities for innovative programme design and develops new partnerships and fundraising strategies, to strengthen International IDEA’s capacity to secure increasing amounts of restricted funds;
- Manages and directs the team of staff and consultants to ensure full delivery of agreed programme outputs while fostering a spirit of collaboration, and team cohesion;
- Coordinates with International IDEA´s Regional Office in Addis Ababa office to support planning and budgeting of activities at the regional and institutional levels;
- Assesses and analyses the political developments in the countries falling under the purview of the Tunis sub-regional office and updates and revises programme activities and initiatives accordingly;
- Represents International IDEA at meetings and events, and develops and maintains relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community;
- Generates knowledge products, including reports and briefs, on relevant political developments and programme activities in the sub-region;
- Liaises with member states, donors, and other partners and stakeholders on programmatic activities;
- Ensures communication and cooperation with IDEA’s global and crosscutting programmes;
- Ensures cross-programmatic collaboration among different teams within the Region, and identifies opportunities for South-South collaboration;
- Contributes to the development of the overall strategy and objectives of International IDEA in the Africa and West Asia Region.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel internationally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director Africa and West Asia Region.
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget of his/her project(s).
- Manages a generally homogeneous team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential. Knowledge of French is an advantage;
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communication, personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate degree in political science, law, international relations or related discipline;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in the implementation of programmes in the field of democracy support;
- At least 3 years’ experience in management positions;
- Experience working North Africa and West Asia will be considered an advantage;
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
Terms of Contract
Two (2) year fixed term appointment.
€5 456 NET plus benefits.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 11 October 2017;
- Applications must be sent in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*