Crisis Action works with individuals and organizations from global civil society to protect civilians from armed conflict, with offices in Beirut, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Nairobi, New York, Paris, and Washington. Current conflict priorities for Crisis Action include South Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, though the organization monitors other potential and actual conflicts and engages in shorter-term emergency response advocacy as well (including shorter-term campaigns over the past year on Central African Republic, Myanmar, and Democratic Republic of Congo).
The Advocacy and Campaigns Manager - Washington works with Crisis Action’s Washington Director, advancing Crisis Action’s unique model of advocacy and interacting with U.S. Government policymakers as well as NGO partners and other campaign allies.
The principal duties of the Advocacy and Campaigns Manager - Washington include:
- Develop and coordinate impactful joint advocacy campaigns that advocate for the protection of civilians in armed conflict: Working with the Washington Director, you will lead U.S.-based partners and other coalition allies to develop, coordinate, and execute collective advocacy campaigns and impactful advocacy to protect civilians and end armed conflict. This will involve designing and consulting on advocacy strategies, developing tactics and advocacy products, and coordinating and implementing diverse advocacy activities, ranging from direct policymaker engagement, media work, social media campaigns, supporting civil society delegations, and public and private events. You will collaborate with colleagues from Crisis Action’s offices worldwide to build coordinated global advocacy campaigns.
- Contribute to U.S. political analysis and network: Focusing on particular armed conflicts, you will provide sophisticated political intelligence and analysis on the positions of U.S. Government policymakers, contributing to the development of first-class joint advocacy campaigns and helping Crisis Action and our partners to tailor our advocacy strategies and tactics to achieve maximum results, both in Washington and globally.
- Advance the strategic development of Crisis Action in Washington and globally: Within the Washington office, you will ambitiously and entrepreneurially help expand Crisis Action’s network and relationships with key policymakers, journalists, core partners, civil society allies, and other supporters.
- At least five years’ experience either conducting or coordinating high-level advocacy campaigns, or working for the US Government on issues related to Crisis Action’s mandate.
- Established relationships with key contacts in the U.S. Government, including Executive Branch and Congress, and deep understanding of the U.S. policymaking architecture and processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including experience in coalition settings and ability to instill trust and confidence in colleagues and partners from a range of backgrounds.
- First-class political judgment and instincts, especially regarding international affairs issues, and proven ability to analyze complex political issues and extrapolate sophisticated strategies to achieve policy change.
- Confidence working as an ambitious, energetic, and collegial member of a small team, able to coordinate effectively with colleagues and prioritize multiple competing tracks of work.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of international human rights and humanitarian law and of issues arising in contemporary armed conflicts.
- Strong media skills, including writing op-eds, preparing media releases, briefing journalists, promoting stories, and coordinating large-scale media drives.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Permission to work in the United States.
- A graduate degree in international affairs, politics, law, human rights, or a related field.
- Experience working with global teams.
- Established relationships with media.
- Understanding of the challenges involved in organizing NGO coalitions.
- 25 days vacation
- Health/dental insurance paid in full
- 403(b) matching contribution
- Other benefits
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*