Reporting to: Vice President of Communications, Global; dotted line reporting to Country Director
Annual salary: Competitive salary within sector, adjusted based on experience
Our vision is a world where animals are respected and protected. With offices in 15 countries and projects in more than 40 countries, we rescue individual animals, safeguard populations, preserve habitat, and advocate for a better future.
IFAW explores new ways to improve conditions for animals, people, and the place we call home - and we’ve been leading the way for over 50 years. The problems we confront are urgent, complicated, and resistant to change. Solving them requires fresh thinking and bold action. So we look at the issues from different angles, make unexpected connections, and challenge the way things are done. Partnering with local communities, NGOs, and governments around the globe, we create real-world solutions that make an immediate and lasting impact.
We see the world as it is, and we’re compelled to make it better.
We are currently in an exciting expansion period, opening a new European Communications and Marketing hub that aligns with the new Global strategy in brand marketing and communications.
Purpose of Role
IFAW EU is looking for a Communications Officer who is well-versed in the regional media landscape and demonstrates a proven track record for building and executing integrated communications strategies at the country level. The candidate must be a self-starter, able to multi-task several moving parts, prioritize multiple work streams and manage complex stakeholder networks. He/she must also bring a strong network of influential media contacts to bear. The ability and passion to navigate diverse, complex, and global subject matters is a must.
- Craft integrated communications and marketing strategies for in-country campaigns and launches;
- Creatively and proactively develop, own and execute earned media programs and plans inmarket;
- Contribute to plan development processes at the global and regional level; ongoing collaboration with marketing and development to ensure integration;
- Brainstorm and pitch compelling ideas for both media and digital influencer efforts;
- Develop pitches, press releases, blogs, bylined articles, and other press materials when needed;
- Pull together weekly, monthly & quarterly country reports, including but not limited to campaign activities, vents, media coverage and influencer engagement;
- Monitor media outlets for coverage of issue-relevant news and competitor developments;
- Understand industry issues that directly and indirectly affect the organization;
- Manage and build relationships with media and digital influencers;
- Mine current news cycle for ad hoc media opportunities;
- Lead story mining sessions with office staff including campaigners;
- Coordinate press inquiries, interviews and local event logistics;
- Support Country Director in crafting and distributing a market-relevant Annual Report;
- Plan and monitor communications budget;
- Manage communications consultants, contractors and agencies when necessary.
- 1-2 years’ management experience leading small groups and projects;
- 3-5+ years’ experience in PR/communications and/or government relations role with expertise in writing, plan development, media relations strategy and execution, event management, speaking and awards submissions, social content, measurement, and monitoring;
- Bachelor's Degree;
- Understand the elements of what makes a good story;
- Speak, write and edit succinctly and compellingly;
- Extremely well organized; able to effectively multitask while maintaining professionalism and composure;
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively, and to balance competing demands and priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work within a team;
- Strong administrative and leadership skills to maintain high standards and coordinate staff effectively;
- Flexible, diplomatic, detail-oriented style with professional, positive manner;
- Self-starter with a high level of professionalism and demonstrated initiative, judgment, decisiveness and confidence;
- Excellent problem-solving ability;
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “IFAW Communications Officer” in the email subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org