A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international education and exchange. For 70 years CIEE has been committed to bringing the world together through meaningful international exchange programs to help humanize international relations. CIEE programs and services span study abroad, teach abroad, international faculty development seminars, and inbound exchange study, work, and internship programs for today’s high school and university students, professionals, and educators.
Summary of Position:
As part of its mission to diversify the demographic that studies abroad, CIEE created a team within the Institutional Relations department to support Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). The Manager of Institutional Relations for MSIs serves as the primary liaison between CIEE and MSIs in a designated region. The primary goal is to meet and exceed enrollment targets for CIEE Study Centers through the development and management of CIEE’s relationships with MSIs in a given region. This position may require significant domestic travel during the high seasons (September-November and February-April).
In addition to creating the MSI team, CIEE has undertaken a series of initiatives designed to overcome the three main barriers to study abroad and international exchange: cost, curriculum and culture. New study abroad programs were designed to reduce costs and provide curriculum options for more students. Scholarships and travel grants were increased significantly, rising from $500k/year to over $5 million/ year by 2016. New initiatives to help change culture on college campuses were introduced, including establishing faculty-led programs tailored to university strategy, joining IIE’s Generation Study Abroad pledge, and establishing a partnership with the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Minority Serving Institutions (Penn CMSI) to train and engage college presidents, faculty and students at MSIs across the country.
- Develop and actively manage the portfolio of MSI partners for CIEE
- Manage and strengthen CIEE’s current relationships with study abroad staff, faculty, and other administrators at MSI institutions with the goals of both increasing enrollments and program approvals
- Develop and sustain new relationships with Study Abroad Office staff, faculty and other institution administrators at MSIs in assigned region with the goals of both increasing enrollments and program approvals
- Function as primary CIEE contact for all MSI institutions in the region using regular personal, phone and email exchanges
- Create and host student-facing activities, faculty meetings, on campus staff trainings and other outreach activities to encourage program approvals and new enrollments
- Represent CIEE at Study Abroad Fairs, Pre-departure Orientations and other campus events at MSIs in region
- Strategize with team for MSIs to plan and implement an annual strategy for achieving goals across the MSI portfolio
- Collaborate with various internal departments to leverage their expertise for visits to or conversations with key institutions
- Represent CIEE at national and regional professional conferences including NAFSA, FORUM and CIEE’s annual conference
- Maintain detailed records of all activities related to institutions in designated region and manage institutional profiles in CRM
- Provide input on marketing strategies and materials for programs in assigned portfolio and conduct market research, as necessary
- Manage personal travel budget appropriately
- Meet or exceed individual and team goals for enrollments and approved programs. Other goals may be assigned to address seasonal/business needs. Goals and targets are evaluated and adjusted on a routine basis.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Four-seven years of hands-on experience in consultative sales of intangibles or services. Sales to institutions of higher education, personal study abroad experience, and experience in international education are all preferred. Demonstrated interest in higher education is preferred.
- Sales skills– proven ability to meet targets
- Customer service– strong customer service skills and the ability to resolve issues fairly, expediently, and cost-effectively while continuing to manage relationships
- Superior written, verbal and phone skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with students, parents, faculty, employees, and industry partners; individually and in groups
- Strong administrative and organization skills and be able to ensure the effective coordination of a multitude of activities
- Academic–in-depth knowledge of U.S. academic institutions and their culture. Must have the ability to function well in a complex institutional framework, have a high tolerance for ambiguity, flexibility, and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately to changing circumstances
- Solid background in the Microsoft Office Suite and a willingness to use technology to improve performance.
- Ability to work a varied schedule outside of the typical 9-5 range. Extensive travel may be required - perhaps as much as 15-18 weeks annually required. 90% of travel is domestic, 10% is international.
- Valid US driver’s license
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org